Quantum Mechanics: Wave Mechanics in One Dimension

In summary, the homework statement says that to calculate ##\langle\psi|\psi\rangle##, you need to calculate ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dxf(x)\delta(x-x_0)##. However, this equation can be used to calculate function values as well as functions.
Robben

Homework Statement

Let ##\langle\psi| = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dx\langle\psi|x\rangle\langle x|.## How do I calculate ##\langle\psi|\psi\rangle?##

Homework Equations

##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dxf(x)\delta(x-x_0)=f(x_0)##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\langle\psi|\psi\rangle = \int\int dx'dx\langle \psi|x\rangle\langle x|x'\rangle\langle x'|\psi\rangle = \int\int dx'dx\langle\psi|x\rangle\delta(x-x')\langle x'|\psi\rangle## but then how does that equal to ##\int dx \langle\psi|x\rangle\langle x|\psi\rangle?##

Physics news on Phys.org
<x|x`> is delta function and x` is as x in above.

abbas_majidi said:
<x|x`> is delta function and x` is as x in above.

I am not sure what you mean?

Above in OP is equation in 'Relevant equations'

Since ##\langle \psi|x\rangle## does not depend on ##x'## you can take it out of the integral over ##dx'##:$$
\int\int dx'dx\langle \psi|x\rangle\langle x|x'\rangle\langle x'|\psi\rangle =\int dx \langle \psi|x\rangle\ \left ( \int dx'\langle x|x '\rangle\langle x'|\psi\rangle \right )
$$

BvU said:
Since ##\langle \psi|x\rangle## does not depend on ##x'## you can take it out of the integral over ##dx'##:$$
\int\int dx'dx\langle \psi|x\rangle\langle x|x'\rangle\langle x'|\psi\rangle =\int dx \langle \psi|x\rangle\ \left ( \int dx'\langle x|x '\rangle\langle x'|\psi\rangle \right )
$$

But how does $$\left ( \int dx'\langle x|x '\rangle\langle x'|\psi\rangle \right ) = \langle x|\psi\rangle?$$

Robben said:
But how does $$\left ( \int dx'\langle x|x '\rangle\langle x'|\psi\rangle \right ) = \langle x|\psi\rangle?$$

It's what abbas_majidi wrote in post #2. ##<x|x'>=\delta(x-x')##.

Dick said:
It's what abbas_majidi wrote in post #2. ##<x|x'>=\delta(x-x')##.

How does ##\delta(x-x')## act on ##\langle x'|\psi\rangle## in order for it to equal ##\langle x|\psi\rangle##, i.e. $$\int dx'\delta(x-x')\langle x'|\psi\rangle?$$

Robben said:
How does ##\delta(x-x')## act on ##\langle x'|\psi\rangle## in order for it to equal ##\langle x|\psi\rangle##, i.e. $$\int dx'\delta(x-x')\langle x'|\psi\rangle?$$
You can apply your equation
$$
\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dxf(x)\delta(x-x_0)=f(x_0)
$$to function values, but also to functions. So at each ##x'## in ##\langle x'|\psi \rangle = \psi(x')## is "replaced by ##x##" .

BvU said:
You can apply your equation
$$
\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dxf(x)\delta(x-x_0)=f(x_0)
$$to function values, but also to functions. So at each ##x'## in ##\langle x'|\psi \rangle = \psi(x')## is "replaced by ##x##" .
I see. This is my first time using dirac delta function and i was confused. My book didn't do a good job in explaining. Thank you all!

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Wave Mechanics in One Dimension

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the study of motion and forces in macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is the study of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics introduces probabilistic behavior.

2. What is wave mechanics in one dimension?

Wave mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. In one dimension, it describes the behavior of a particle moving along a single axis, such as a straight line.

3. What are wave functions in quantum mechanics?

Wave functions are mathematical descriptions of the quantum state of a particle. They contain information about the position, momentum, and other properties of the particle, and can be used to calculate the probability of the particle being in a certain state.

4. How does the Schrodinger equation relate to wave mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. It describes the time evolution of a particle's wave function and is used to predict the behavior of particles in a given system.

5. What are some applications of wave mechanics in one dimension?

Wave mechanics in one dimension has many practical applications, such as in the development of electronic devices, the study of atomic and molecular structures, and the understanding of chemical reactions. It is also essential in the fields of quantum computing and quantum cryptography.