Quantum Mechanics Superposition Question

In summary, the problem asks to find the probability density function for a particle in an infinite square well with an initial wavefunction of (1/√2)[φ1 + φ3]. The solution involves expressing the wavefunction as a sinusoidal function of time using the formula ψ(x,t) = Ʃbn*e-iωntφn and finding the relationship between ω and ωn, the energy of state n.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

A particle in an infinite square well has as its initial wavefunction ψ(x,t=0) = (1/√2)[φ1 + φ3].

Find |ψ(x,t)|2. Express it as a sinusoidal function of time using ω= π2*h/(2mL2).

Homework Equations

Note that φn = √(2/L)*sin(nπx/L) for a well of width L.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found something in my book which says that ψ(x,t) = Ʃbn*e-iωntφn.

Therefore, my ψ(x,t) = (1/√2)[e-iω1t)φ1 + e-iω3t)φ3].

Is that right so far?

Then, I can compute |ψ(x,t)|2, but I don't see how that is going to give me an answer in terms of ω. I have ωn though.

Physics news on Phys.org
How are ##\omega## and ##\omega_n## related to the energy of state n?

When you say you found something in your book that says [itex]\Psi (x,t) = \sum_n b_n\ e^{-i\ \omega _n \ t}\ \psi _n(x)[/itex], do you know what that is?
Also, do you know what [itex]\omega _n[/itex] actually is?

Last edited:

Related to Quantum Mechanics Superposition Question

1. What is superposition in quantum mechanics?

Superposition is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that a physical system can exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed or measured.

2. How does superposition differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, a physical system can only exist in one state at a time. In contrast, quantum mechanics allows for the coexistence of multiple states until the system is observed or measured.

3. What is the role of superposition in quantum computing?

Superposition is a crucial concept in quantum computing as it allows quantum bits (qubits) to represent multiple values at the same time. This enables quantum computers to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

4. Can superposition be observed in everyday life?

Superposition is a phenomenon that occurs at the atomic and subatomic level and is not observable in everyday life. However, its effects can be seen in certain technologies such as MRI machines and transistors.

5. How does superposition relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. Superposition plays a role in this principle as the multiple states a particle can exist in make it impossible to determine its exact position or momentum.