Quantum Mechanics Resources: Websites & Books

In summary, for comprehensive coverage of quantum mechanics and its mathematical concepts, it is recommended to use a book rather than relying on websites. "Quantum Mechanics" by Alastair I.M. Rae published by Taylor & Francis is a good option, with additional chapters discussing the philosophical implications of the subject. Other suggested textbooks include Griffiths and Sakurai.
michbar89
Does anyone know of any good websites with notes on quantum mechanics? or perhaps any books? One that can explain also the mathematics used in it please??

Physics news on Phys.org
The one we had recommended when I did the quantum course last year was "Quantum mechanics" by Alastair I.M. Rae published by Taylor & Francis ISBN 1-58488-970-5. I had the fifth edition and it's pretty nice. It is quite direct but covers lots of information and goes through all the maths. A nice addition I thought was a couple of chapters at the end discussing the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics. Good book and should cover all the QM you'll come across at undergrad level.

Website notes don't tend to cover everything you need and you also have to search lots to find something comprehensive. I'd go for book if I was you!

Good Luck

michbar89 said:
Does anyone know of any good websites with notes on quantum mechanics? or perhaps any books? One that can explain also the mathematics used in it please??

What mathematics and physics have you studied previously?

Thank you very much for your help. I will look into it :)

I've done Pure Mathematics Intermediate. I'm currently sitting for an undergraduate course in Bsc Physics and Computer Science - and I'm 2nd year.

Griffiths is a decent textbook, but for a rigorous treatment of quantum mechanics, you should check out Sakurai.

Related to Quantum Mechanics Resources: Websites & Books

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles interact with each other and the laws that govern their behavior.

2. What are some recommended websites for learning about Quantum Mechanics?

Some recommended websites for learning about Quantum Mechanics include Quantum Mechanics for Everyone, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Khan Academy. These websites offer free resources such as lectures, videos, and tutorials to help understand the concepts of Quantum Mechanics.

3. Are there any books that provide a comprehensive understanding of Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are many books available that provide a comprehensive understanding of Quantum Mechanics. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili.

4. Are there any online courses available for learning Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are several online courses available for learning Quantum Mechanics. Some popular options include "Quantum Mechanics for Everyone" on Coursera, "Quantum Mechanics" on edX, and "Quantum Mechanics: The Strange World of Quantum Physics" on FutureLearn. These courses provide a structured learning experience with lectures, assignments, and quizzes.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to understand Quantum Mechanics?

Having a background in physics can be helpful in understanding the concepts of Quantum Mechanics, but it is not necessary. Many online resources and books provide a step-by-step approach to learning Quantum Mechanics, making it accessible to beginners. However, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, can be beneficial in understanding the mathematical principles involved in Quantum Mechanics.