Quantum mechanics-projection operator in terms of momentum

In summary, the equation <x|p^2|x'> is a matrix element of the operator p^2 in position representation, while the equation <p|p|x'> is a matrix element of the momentum operator p in momentum representation. They cannot be equated because they represent different quantities in different spaces.
ke1be11

Homework Statement

<x|p^2|x'>=?

Homework Equations

<x|p|x'>=-ih d/dx dirac delta(x-x')
I=Integral(dp|p><p|)

The Attempt at a Solution

<x|p^2|x'>=<x|p I p|x'>=<x|p Integral(dp)|p><p|p|x'>

I know that <x|p|x'> = -ih d/dx diracdelta(x-x') so does that mean that <p|p|x'>=-ih d/dx diracdelta(p-x') but that doesn't make sense because the x' and p are different quantities. Maybe just an explanation on the the bra and ket of p vs. the bra and ket of x? I really am lost here...

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your confusion and I am happy to provide an explanation to help clarify things.

First, let's define some terms. In quantum mechanics, a "bra" is a vector in the dual space of the Hilbert space, denoted by <x|, and a "ket" is a vector in the Hilbert space, denoted by |x>. The <x| and |x> are called "bra-ket" notation.

Now, let's take a closer look at the equation <x|p^2|x'>. This is a matrix element, where <x| and |x'> are the bra and ket vectors, respectively, and p^2 is the operator. In general, the matrix element of an operator A can be written as <x|A|x'>. So, in this case, <x|p^2|x'> is the matrix element of the operator p^2.

Now, let's look at the equation <x|p|x'>=-ih d/dx dirac delta(x-x'). This is a well-known result in quantum mechanics, known as the momentum operator in position representation. It tells us that the matrix element of the momentum operator (p) is equal to -ih times the derivative of the dirac delta function with respect to x.

To answer your question, <p|p|x'> is not equal to -ih d/dx diracdelta(p-x'). This is because <p| is a bra vector in the momentum space, while |p> is a ket vector in the momentum space. These vectors represent different quantities, as you correctly pointed out. So, the equation <p|p|x'>=-ih d/dx diracdelta(p-x') does not make sense.

In conclusion, in the equation <x|p^2|x'>, the bra and ket vectors are in the position space, while in the equation <p|p|x'>, the bra and ket vectors are in the momentum space. They represent different quantities and cannot be equated. I hope this explanation helps clarify things for you.

Related to Quantum mechanics-projection operator in terms of momentum

1. What is a projection operator in quantum mechanics?

A projection operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical tool used to describe the state of a quantum system. It is a Hermitian operator that projects the state vector of a system onto a specific subspace, allowing for the calculation of probabilities and measurement outcomes.

2. How is the projection operator related to momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the projection operator for momentum is used to describe the state of a system in terms of its momentum. It projects the state vector onto the subspace of momentum states, allowing for the calculation of probabilities and measurement outcomes related to momentum.

3. Can the projection operator for momentum be written in terms of position?

Yes, the projection operator for momentum can be written in terms of position through the use of the Fourier transform. This allows for the calculation of probabilities and measurement outcomes related to position using the projection operator for momentum.

4. How is the projection operator used in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The projection operator is used in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle by representing the uncertainty in measuring a physical quantity, such as momentum or position, as the spread of the projection operator on that quantity's subspace. This allows for a quantitative understanding of the trade-off between the uncertainty in measuring different physical quantities in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any other applications of the projection operator in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the projection operator has many other applications in quantum mechanics, including in the calculation of transition probabilities between quantum states and in the formulation of quantum dynamical equations. It is a fundamental tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.