Quantum Mechanics Problem: Quick help kindly requested

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential V(x) and its effects on wavefunctions in three different regions. It asks for the form of the wavefunctions, boundary conditions, and the transmission coefficient. The conversation also mentions solving for bound states and the confusion over the meaning of "particles coming in from the left".
bktennis2006

1. Homework Statement

1. Suppose we have a potential V(x) which is zero everywhere except 0<x<a, where it is equal to –Vo, where Vo is positive (and thus –Vo is negative). For the case where E > 0, it asks

a. to give the form of the wavefunctions in all three regions, defining k1, k2 and k3 properly.
b. for scattering off the potential by particles coming in from the left, determine what wavefunction amplitudes can be set to zero.
c. derive appropriate boundary conditions relating wave function amplitudes at the boundaries between regions.

2. It then asks to answer the same question using the case where E < 0, and also for b. it asks to determine which wavefunctions should be set to zero for bound states.

3. Solve explicitly for the transmission coefficient in Problem 1, and in what cases is the coefficient exactly 1?

Homework Equations

The time-independent Shrodinger equation, of course.

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately, I was only able to find the wavefunctions in #1, and I don't even know if they're right. I did it by solving for [tex]\psi[/tex] using the Shrodinger equation, but does it also want [tex]\Psi[/tex]? The second part of both #1 and #2 confuse me, as I don't even know what they're asking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but unfortunately the problems are due today, so a quick response would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what did you get for #1?

Once you have that... what does it mean to have "particles coming in from the left"?

Related to Quantum Mechanics Problem: Quick help kindly requested

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.

2. What is a quantum mechanics problem?

A quantum mechanics problem is a mathematical question or scenario that requires the application of quantum mechanics principles and equations to solve. It typically involves understanding the behavior of particles or systems at the quantum level.

3. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is crucial in understanding the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, which has led to many technological advancements such as transistors, lasers, and computer chips. It also helps explain many phenomena such as superconductivity and the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. How can I quickly solve a quantum mechanics problem?

To quickly solve a quantum mechanics problem, it is important to have a solid understanding of the principles and equations involved. Practice and familiarity with the concepts can also help in solving problems efficiently.

5. What resources are available for quick help with quantum mechanics problems?

There are many online resources, such as video tutorials, practice problems, and forums, that can provide quick help with quantum mechanics problems. Additionally, textbooks and study guides can also be useful for understanding the concepts and solving problems.