Quantum Mechanics: Parity Problem

In summary, the problem is trying to find an example of when parity would be useful and the example does not work.
Xyius

Homework Statement

The problem is referring to an example in the chapter.
Use Parity Arguments to show that in Example3-5 the A_n for n is even must vanish.

Here is the example:
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/5664/qmproblem.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly do not know where to start with this. The parity operator simply switches the sign of "x" in the wave function. It is easy enough to SEE that they go to zero without using parity arguments. Any push in the right direction would be appreciated!

~Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem intends for you to look at the symmetry about the line x=a/2 and that it's not using the word parity in the way you've interpreted it. (But I could be wrong.)

vela said:
I think the problem intends for you to look at the symmetry about the line x=a/2 and that it's not using the word parity in the way you've interpreted it. (But I could be wrong.)

I still don't understand how I would even do that. If I draw it, it is symmetric about x=a/2. But I do not know how I would link this to the fact that all odd n's go to zero.

I know that for n=odd, the solution to the wave function for a particle in a box are even functions. (Cosine) Don't know if this helps...

Look at the symmetry of the eigenstates about the line x=a/2 as well.

Basically to use parity you have to be symmetrical across the y axis. So a simple shift of (defining our new x as x')

x' = x - [itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex]

will get such a symmetry. You can then apply the Parity argument to show that when n is odd you get a 1 at your parity (since parity can only have the value of [itex]\pm[/itex]1. However, when n is an even function this shows a parity of -1 which we know is not an eigenstate.

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Parity Problem

1. What is the Parity Problem in Quantum Mechanics?

The Parity Problem in Quantum Mechanics refers to the observation that certain physical processes in quantum systems do not behave the same way when time is reversed. This means that the symmetry of the process is violated, and the direction of time plays a role in the outcome of the process.

2. How does the Parity Problem affect our understanding of the universe?

The Parity Problem challenges our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the concept of symmetry in the universe. It also raises questions about the nature of time and how it affects the behavior of quantum systems.

3. What are some examples of processes that exhibit the Parity Problem?

One example is the decay of certain subatomic particles, such as the neutral kaon. In this process, the decay products are not identical when time is reversed, indicating a violation of symmetry. Another example is the behavior of certain molecules that rotate in opposite directions when time is reversed, known as enantiomers.

4. How do scientists explain the Parity Problem?

Scientists have proposed various theories to explain the Parity Problem, including the introduction of new particles or interactions, breaking of fundamental symmetries, and the concept of quantum entanglement. However, the exact explanation is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

5. What are the implications of the Parity Problem for technology and practical applications?

The Parity Problem has implications for technologies that rely on precise measurements and control of quantum systems, such as quantum computing and quantum sensors. It also has implications for our understanding of the universe and the development of new theories to explain the fundamental laws of physics.