Quantum Mechanics - Ladder Operators

In summary, we need to show that N=a^\dagger a and K_r=\frac{a^\dagger^r a^r}{r!} commute by showing [a^\dagger^r a^r,a^\dagger a]=0. Attempts to use [a,a^\dagger] have not been successful. Additionally, we need to show \sum_{r=0}^\infty (-1)^r K_r=|0><0| but it is not sufficient to show \sum_{r=0}^\infty (-1)^r K_r|n>=|0><0|n>=0. Further analysis is needed.
Tangent87
I'm trying to show that [tex]N=a^\dagger a[/tex] and [tex]K_r=\frac{a^\dagger^r a^r}{r!}[/tex] commute. So basically I need to show [tex][a^\dagger^r a^r,a^\dagger a]=0[/tex]. I'm not quite sure what to do, I've tried using [tex][a,a^\dagger][/tex] in a few places but so far haven't had much success.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tangent87 said:
I'm trying to show that [tex]N=a^\dagger a[/tex] and [tex]K_r=\frac{a^\dagger^r a^r}{r!}[/tex] commute. So basically I need to show [tex][a^\dagger^r a^r,a^\dagger a]=0[/tex]. I'm not quite sure what to do, I've tried using [tex][a,a^\dagger][/tex] in a few places but so far haven't had much success.

What's [itex][AB,CD][/itex] equal to?

latentcorpse said:
What's [itex][AB,CD][/itex] equal to?

Ah, thanks latentcorpse!

[tex][AB,CD]=A[B,CD]+[A,CD]B=A[B,C]D+AC[B,D]+[A,C]DB+C[A,D]B[/tex]

Also, if I want to show [tex]\sum_{r=0}^\infty (-1)^r K_r=|0><0|[/tex] is it sufficient to show [tex]\sum_{r=0}^\infty (-1)^r K_r|n>=|0><0|n>=0[/tex]?

redundant

Tangent87 said:
Ah, thanks latentcorpse!

[tex][AB,CD]=A[B,CD]+[A,CD]B=A[B,C]D+AC[B,D]+[A,C]DB+C[A,D]B[/tex]

Also, if I want to show [tex]\sum_{r=0}^\infty (-1)^r K_r=|0><0|[/tex] is it sufficient to show [tex]\sum_{r=0}^\infty (-1)^r K_r|n>=|0><0|n>=0[/tex]?

No wait of course it's not, what am I thinking!

Related to Quantum Mechanics - Ladder Operators

1. What are ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy levels of a quantum system. They are used to raise or lower the energy of a quantum state by a fixed amount.

2. How do ladder operators work?

Ladder operators work by changing the quantum state of a system. The raising operator increases the energy of the system by a fixed amount, while the lowering operator decreases the energy by the same amount. These operators can be applied repeatedly to a state, resulting in a series of energy levels.

3. What is the significance of ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are significant because they provide a way to describe the energy levels of a quantum system and understand how they change. They also allow for the calculation of transition probabilities between energy levels and help to explain various quantum phenomena.

4. What is the relationship between ladder operators and harmonic oscillators?

Ladder operators are closely related to harmonic oscillators, which are systems that have a repeating pattern of energy levels. In fact, the ladder operators for a harmonic oscillator can be used to calculate the energy levels and transition probabilities of the system.

5. Can ladder operators be applied to other quantum systems besides harmonic oscillators?

Yes, ladder operators can be applied to other quantum systems besides harmonic oscillators. They are a general mathematical tool for describing the energy levels and transitions of any quantum system. However, the specific form of the ladder operators may differ depending on the system being studied.