(Quantum Mechanics) Infinite Square Well

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Griffiths' Introduction to QM involving a particle in an infinite square well with an initial wave function. The conversation covers the normalization of the wave function and the correct normalization constant, as well as a related problem involving the proof of Kronecker delta for the integral of two wave functions. The conversation also clarifies the use of limits of integration for particle-in-the-box wavefunctions.
emol1414
Hi, I'm stuck in this Griffiths' Introduction to QM problem (#2.8)

Homework Statement

A particle in the infinite square well has the initial wave function

[itex]\Psi(x,0) = Ax(a-x)[/itex]

Normalize [itex]\Psi(x,0)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] \int_{0}^{a} |\Psi(x)|^2 dx = 1 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Haha, this is supposed to be the least of my problems but... doing

[itex] A^2 \int_{0}^{a} x^2 (a-x)^2 dx = 1 [/itex]
gives us [itex] A = \sqrt{\frac{30}{a^5}} [/itex].

When the correct answer is [itex] A = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} [/itex]. I have no clue what I did wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
The normalization constant A = sqrt(2/a) is appropriate for ψ(x) = A sin(nπx/a). Here you have ψ(x) = Ax(a-x). Different wavefunctions have different normalization constants.

Kuruman... indeed [itex]A = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}[/itex] is appropriate for [itex]\psi[/itex] as a sin function. But when checking the result i got, i found this solution for the exact same problem:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6186/64732846.jpg

The integral limit is set to 0,a/2... I'm not sure why, and if this is correct. For now i'll stick with my solution

For n = m, and [itex]\psi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{a}),\in \Re[/itex], I'm coming up with

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi_{n}^{2}(x) dx [/itex] = [itex]\frac{-1}{a} cos(\frac{n\pi x}{a}) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})|_{-\infty}^{\infty} + \frac{1}{a} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx[/itex]

The first term goes to 0, but the second would result in 1 for like... [itex] \int_{0}^{a}[/itex], not [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} [/itex]. Again... where am I messing up?

Last edited by a moderator:
emol1414 said:
Kuruman... indeed [itex]A = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}[/itex] is appropriate for [itex]\psi[/itex] as a sin function. But when checking the result i got, i found this solution for the exact same problem:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6186/64732846.jpg

The integral limit is set to 0,a/2... I'm not sure why, and if this is correct. For now i'll stick with my solution
It is not the exact same problem. The problem above has yet a third wavefunction that is constant for 0≤x≤a/2 and zero everywhere else. That is the reason why the upper limit is set at a/2. If you extend the integral beyond a/2, you will be adding a whole bunch of zeroes since ψ(x) is zero, so you might as well use a/2 for the upper limit.

By the way... (a correlated problem) trying to prove that: [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi_n^*(x) \psi_m (x) dx = \delta_{n,m}[/itex] (Kronecker delta).

For n = m, and [itex]\psi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{a}),\in \Re[/itex], I'm coming up with

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi_{n}^{2}(x) dx [/itex] = [itex]\frac{-1}{a} cos(\frac{n\pi x}{a}) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})|_{-\infty}^{\infty} + \frac{1}{a} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx[/itex]

The first term goes to 0, but the second would result in 1 for like... [itex] \int_{0}^{a}[/itex], not [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} [/itex]. Again... where am I messing up?
Here I assume that you are using particle-in-the-box wavefunctions. All of them are zero for x≤0 and x≥a. What do you think your limits of integration ought to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, ok! So it's a different problem

It makes sense now, I forgot the conditions... You're right, it is [itex]\int_{0}^{a}[/itex]!
Thank you

Related to (Quantum Mechanics) Infinite Square Well

1. What is the Infinite Square Well in quantum mechanics?

The Infinite Square Well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within a square-shaped potential well with infinitely high walls. It is a simplified system that helps to understand some of the basic principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Infinite Square Well differ from a finite potential well?

A finite potential well has walls that are not infinitely high, which means that there is a probability that the particle can tunnel through the walls. In contrast, the Infinite Square Well has infinitely high walls, so the particle cannot escape. This leads to different energy levels and wave functions for the two systems.

3. What are the energy levels in the Infinite Square Well?

The energy levels in the Infinite Square Well are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. The lowest energy level is called the ground state and has the smallest possible energy. The energy levels increase as the particle's position is further away from the center of the well.

4. How does the size of the potential well affect the energy levels and wave functions?

The size of the potential well directly affects the energy levels and wave functions in the Infinite Square Well. As the size of the well increases, the distance between the energy levels decreases, and the wave functions become more spread out. Conversely, as the size decreases, the energy levels become more spaced out, and the wave functions become more compact.

5. Can the Infinite Square Well model be applied to real-life systems?

The Infinite Square Well is a simplified model that does not exist in the physical world. However, it can be used as an approximation for systems that have similar properties, such as a particle trapped in a small box or a particle confined to a certain region by strong forces. It provides a useful framework for understanding the behavior of quantum particles in confined systems.