Quantum mechanics for the nucleus?

In summary, the speaker is asking why there are no equivalent models for the atomic nucleus like there are for electrons in quantum mechanics. They have only seen descriptions for electrons and are wondering if the Schrodinger equation can be applied to protons. The response is that the nuclear potential is more complex and requires quantum field theory for an accurate description. It is also noted that the Schrodinger equation is not applicable to a particle like the proton, which has spin. The speaker is then advised to refer to a book on nuclear physics for more information.
DiracPool
How come I never see any equivelant of the particle in the box or harmonic oscillator counterparts for modeling of the atomic nucleus? I'm still a bit new to QM, but the only thing I ever see are QM descriptions of electrons, electron orbitals, electron spins, electron quantum entanglement, electron double slit, etc. Nothing ever for protons, gluons, etc., except for the nuclear shell model maybe, but nothing in-depth even on that. Can you even apply the Shrodinger equation to a proton? I've never seen it. Any references would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do this, but the nuclear potential is not as easy as the coulomb potential, and you do not get analytic solutions for the eigenstates.
It is even worse if you look inside the proton, with the strong interaction and its self-interaction you need quantum field theory for an appropriate description.

Can you even apply the Shrodinger equation to a proton?
it will be better to use dirac eqn since proton is spin 1/2 but it only applies to structurelss particle like electron so it will not give useful results.

Can you even apply the Shrodinger equation to a proton? I've never seen it. Any references would be great.
Believe me, any book on nuclear physics will provide an answer to your question, in great detail.

Related to Quantum mechanics for the nucleus?

1. What is the nucleus and why is it important in quantum mechanics?

The nucleus is the dense, positively charged center of an atom that contains most of its mass. It is important in quantum mechanics because it is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and understanding its behavior is essential for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

2. How does quantum mechanics explain the stability of the nucleus?

In quantum mechanics, the stability of the nucleus is explained by the concept of nuclear binding energy. This is the energy that holds the protons and neutrons together in the nucleus, and it is a result of the strong nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces in nature.

3. What is the role of spin in quantum mechanics of the nucleus?

In quantum mechanics, spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons. This spin is an important factor in determining the nuclear properties and behavior of the nucleus, including its energy levels and interactions with other particles.

4. How does quantum mechanics explain the decay of radioactive nuclei?

Quantum mechanics provides a framework for understanding the decay of radioactive nuclei through the concept of quantum tunneling. This is when a particle with insufficient energy to overcome a potential barrier can still pass through it due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding quantum mechanics in the nucleus?

Understanding quantum mechanics in the nucleus has many practical applications, including in nuclear power and medicine. It allows us to accurately predict the behavior of radioactive materials, which is crucial for safe and efficient use of nuclear energy. In medicine, quantum mechanics is used to study the effects of radiation on living tissues and to develop treatments for conditions such as cancer.