Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians (book)

In summary, the conversation discusses a book called 'Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians' and the lack of reviews for it. One person mentions that they have read other books in the series and found them outstanding, but they are unsure about this particular one. Another person shares a positive review of the book and states that they are currently reading it and find it to be one of the best on the market for introducing mathematical quantum mechanics. A link to the review is also provided.
some_dude
Hello,

Has anyone read 'Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians'?

Link here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821846302/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've read a few of the other books in this series, and they've been outstanding. But this one is pretty new and I can't find any reviews. And I'm not a physicist, so it's not so easy for me to jdge. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've been wanting to read it, but I'm afraid it's too advanced for me. Looks really interesting.

There is a very positive review of it: http://www.maa.org/maa%20reviews/1155.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently reading through it, it is a very nice book to introduce mathematical QM. I agree with the above review that it is one of the best on the market.

Related to Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians (book)

1. What is the main focus of "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians"?

The main focus of this book is to provide a rigorous mathematical approach to understanding the principles and concepts of quantum mechanics. It is intended for mathematicians and theoretical physicists, and assumes a strong background in mathematics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics?

No, this book is not suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics. It is geared towards those with a strong mathematical background and assumes prior knowledge of quantum mechanics.

3. What sets "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians" apart from other books on the subject?

This book stands out for its emphasis on the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics. It covers topics such as Hilbert spaces, operators, and the Schrödinger equation in depth, providing a rigorous understanding of the underlying mathematics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

Yes, this book assumes a strong background in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra, analysis, and differential equations. It also assumes prior knowledge of quantum mechanics.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for researchers in quantum mechanics?

Yes, "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians" is a valuable reference for researchers in quantum mechanics. It provides a thorough treatment of the mathematical foundations and can be used as a guide for understanding and applying concepts in quantum mechanics.