Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Chemistry books

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for books on Quantum Mechanics or Quantum Chemistry. They have already read Feynman's Lectures and are familiar with trigonometry and calculus. Suggestions for further reading include J. J. Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics and P. Atkins & R. Friedman's Molecular Quantum Mechanics. Price and format do not matter.
MugiwaraNoSanji
Hi, I've been self studying physics for a few years and I'm looking for some new books, specifically on Quantum Mechanics or Quantum Chemistry. It doesn't matter if they are PDF files or actual books, and price doesn't really matter. I've read Feynmans Lectures books and I'm looking for the next step now. I know trigonometry and calculus at a pretty good level. Thanks for any help that might come here.

Physics news on Phys.org
For quantum theory, I'd suggest to look at

J. J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics (>=2nd edition).

If you have really studied the Feynman Lectures Vol. 3, it should be a good next level of sophistication.

For quantum chemistry, check out

P. Atkins & R. Friedman, Molecular Quantum Mechanics, 5th ed. (OUP, 2011).

Related to Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Chemistry books

1. What is the difference between quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Quantum chemistry, on the other hand, is a field of chemistry that applies the principles of quantum mechanics to understand and predict the behavior of molecules.

2. Are there any recommended books for beginners in quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry?

There are many great books on quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry for beginners. Some popular choices include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Quantum Chemistry" by Donald A. McQuarrie, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

3. Can I understand quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry without a strong background in math?

While a strong understanding of math is helpful in understanding quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry, it is not necessary. Many introductory books on these topics provide a basic overview of the necessary math concepts and equations.

4. How are quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry used in real-world applications?

Quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry have numerous applications in various fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and pharmaceuticals. They are used to study and design new materials, develop more efficient energy sources, and understand chemical reactions.

5. Is it possible to fully understand quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry?

Quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry are complex and constantly evolving fields of study. While it is possible to have a deep understanding of these topics, it is not possible to fully understand them due to their abstract and counterintuitive nature.