Quantum mechanical derivation of ohm's law?

In summary, the linear relationship I~V (respectively j~E) can be derived from the classical Drude theory. This is what's usually called Ohm's Law.
johnathon
I'm watching MIT 8.02 electricity and magnetism () and the lecturer says that there is a derivation of ohm's law but it uses quantum mechanics which is outside the scope of the course. Does anybody know of this derivation and can point me to it? I searched around but can't find anything

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The linear relationship I~V (respectively j~E) can be derived from the classical Drude theory. This is what's usually called Ohm's Law.

What is not predicted correctly is the proportionality factor R (respectively ρ). See maybe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_and_quantum_conductivity.

johnathon said:
I'm watching MIT 8.02 electricity and magnetism () and the lecturer says that there is a derivation of ohm's law but it uses quantum mechanics which is outside the scope of the course. Does anybody know of this derivation and can point me to it? I searched around but can't find anything

the basic model for conduction is the drude model. this assumes that electrons behave like billiard balls. this is enough to prove ohms law. the quantum model is the drude-sommerfield model. here electrons behave like waves and scatter off impurity atoms. then there is a more advanced model call nearly free electron model. anyways the quantum theory successfully explains the temperature dependence of resistivity which the classical drude model is not able to . i would say not to bother with derivations, the important thing is to understand how conduction happens from the quantum mechanical perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
physwizard said:
the basic model for conduction is the drude model. this assumes that electrons behave like billiard balls. this is enough to prove ohms law. the quantum model is the drude-sommerfield model. here electrons behave like waves and scatter off impurity atoms. then there is a more advanced model call nearly free electron model. anyways the quantum theory successfully explains the temperature dependence of resistivity which the classical drude model is not able to . i would say not to bother with derivations, the important thing is to understand how conduction happens from the quantum mechanical perspective.

So can ohm's law be derived from the nearly free electron model?

Interesting article on Ohm's law in the quantum scale - http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/48242

Related to Quantum mechanical derivation of ohm's law?

1. What is the quantum mechanical explanation of Ohm's law?

The quantum mechanical explanation of Ohm's law states that the current flowing through a material is directly proportional to the electric field applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the material. This is due to the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, in a material and their interactions with the electric field.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics in explaining Ohm's law?

Classical mechanics explains Ohm's law through the macroscopic behavior of materials, while quantum mechanics delves into the microscopic interactions of particles. In classical mechanics, resistance is viewed as a constant value, while in quantum mechanics, it can vary depending on the energy levels of the material's particles.

3. Can Ohm's law be applied to all materials?

Ohm's law can be applied to most materials, but it may not hold true for all materials. In some cases, materials may exhibit non-Ohmic behavior, where the current does not vary linearly with the applied electric field. This is often seen in materials with varying resistance, such as semiconductors.

4. How does temperature affect Ohm's law in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, temperature can affect the resistance of a material by changing the energy levels of its particles. As temperature increases, particles gain more energy and can overcome the resistance in the material more easily, resulting in a decrease in resistance and an increase in current.

5. What are some practical applications of the quantum mechanical derivation of Ohm's law?

The quantum mechanical explanation of Ohm's law is used in various electronic devices and technologies, such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits. It also helps in understanding the behavior of materials at the nanoscale, which is crucial in fields like nanotechnology and quantum computing.