Quantum measurement: first kind vs non-demolition

In summary, nondestructive measurements correspond to the case of acting with an operator which is hermitian and commutes with the Hamiltonian (or another operator of the system). In this case both operators can have simultaneous solutions. the system can therefore coexist in both states at the same time. However, weak-field interactions take place via the W and Z bosons, meaning they may contain a different abstract space from the electromagnetic, thereby giving hopes in going beyond the uncertainty principle limitations in experiments. However, they had to redistribute the neutrino data at a later time due to a lack of data points, and they had to somewhat guess, where and when the neutrino's had come from.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Can someone explain to me the difference (if any) between measurement of the first kind and quantum non-demolition measurement?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum non-demolition measurements corresponde to the case of acting with an operator which is hermitian and commutes with the Hamiltonian (or another operator of the system). In this case both operators can have simultaneous solutions. the system can therefore coexist in both states at the same time.
Last year in Canada a group of scientists took neutrino measurements as well as light measurements to determine the position and momentum of a particle at the same time, an impossibility in the regular courses that people take (the first kind of measurement). however the weak-field interactions take place via the W and Z bosons, meaning they may contain a different abstract space from the electromagnetic, thereby giving hopes in going beyond the uncertainty principle limitations in experiments. However they had to redistribute the neutrino data at a later time due to a lack of data points, and they had to somewhat guess, where and when the neutrino's had come from. So although in theory may work, it is far far from practically determining the positions and momenta of the incident particles exactly.

I may have deviated a bit from the main theme here. The idea is that weak measurements may leave the system in the original eigenbasis, since they operate via a different channel, and have much different lifetimes and linewidths. Essentially avoiding the collapse of the wave function.

Demystifier said:
Can someone explain to me the difference (if any) between measurement of the first kind and quantum non-demolition measurement?

Thanks!

you ?
asking that ?

...very suspect

audioloop said:
you ?
asking that ?

...very suspect
Why? Do you think this question is too easy? If so, can YOU answer it?

Ardie, thanks for the explanation of QND, but I ask specifically for the DIFFERENCE between the two. I found the explanations of either of the two concepts in many places, but I could not find any single book or article that explains BOTH concepts at one place. And I must admit, from various explanations of these concepts at various places, I still cannot see clearly what exactly is the DIFFERENCE between them.

I was under the impression, that quantum measurement of the first kind would leave the wave function collapse. clearly that's not the case.
in a quantum non-demolishing experiment you may reverse the change you had done to the system to leave it back in a superposition state. Information taken from the measurement will help you achieve this, by classical transmission. In a measurement of the first kind, the wave function effectively does not collapse as wave functions exist on different spaces.
I find it unnecessary that they should be defined differently, after all they are the same act in practice.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
Why? Do you think this is too easy? If so, can YOU answer it?

nothing to do with the easiness or the difficulty in itself.
i refer to your credentials, you are a theoretical physicist, a lot of publications etc

but now i understand.
Demystifier said:
but I ask specifically for the DIFFERENCE between the two. I found the explanations of either of the two concepts in many places, but I could not find any single book or article that explains BOTH concepts at one place. And I must admit, from various explanations of these concepts at various places, I still cannot see clearly what exactly is the DIFFERENCE between them.
First-kind measurements, non-demolition measurements, and
conservation laws
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9804026v3.pdf

...Any QND measurement is of the FK, but the inverse becomes true only when Qˆ is a constant-of-motion of S,...

Last edited:
audioloop said:
First-kind measurements, non-demolition measurements, and
conservation laws
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9804026v3.pdf

...Any QND measurement is of the FK, but the inverse becomes true only when Qˆ is a constant-of-motion of S,...
Thanks, the difference is now clear to me.

Related to Quantum measurement: first kind vs non-demolition

1. What is quantum measurement?

Quantum measurement is the process of obtaining information about a quantum system, such as its position or momentum. This process involves interacting with the system and causing it to collapse from a superposition of states to a single definite state.

2. What is the first kind of quantum measurement?

The first kind of quantum measurement, also known as the projective measurement, is a measurement that completely collapses the quantum system into one of its possible states. This type of measurement is irreversible and provides a definite outcome.

3. What is non-demolition measurement in quantum mechanics?

Non-demolition measurement is a type of quantum measurement that does not entirely collapse the system, but instead provides information about the system while still preserving its superposition of states. This type of measurement is used in quantum systems that require continuous monitoring without disturbing the system.

4. What is the difference between the first kind and non-demolition measurement?

The main difference between the first kind and non-demolition measurement is the effect they have on the quantum system. First kind measurements completely collapse the system, while non-demolition measurements only provide partial information while preserving the superposition of states. Non-demolition measurements are also reversible, while first kind measurements are irreversible.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum measurement?

Quantum measurement is essential for understanding and manipulating quantum systems, which have various applications in technology, such as quantum computing, cryptography, and precision measurements in fields like biology and medicine. It also plays a crucial role in fundamental research in quantum mechanics and understanding the nature of reality at a microscopic level.