Quantum interference with different polarization

In summary, the conversation discussed the results of a double slit experiment with polarization filters at different angles. One source claimed that interference fringes only occur when the waves have the same polarization, while another source argued that there is still an interference pattern but it gets weaker as the polarization angles deviate. The conversation concluded with a request for a reference for the second answer and a link to a relevant article.
gespex
Hi all,

Imagine a double slit experiment where each slit contains a polarization filter with some angle relative to each other ([itex]\alpha[/itex]). If the polarization filters are parallel the usual interference pattern will emerge, and when they are perpendicular no interference pattern will emerge. What happens when they have different relative angles, though?
The problem is that I've read two different sources, Wikipedia states:
The two waves must have the same polarization to give rise to interference fringes since it is not possible for waves of different polarizations to cancel one another out or add together. Instead, when waves of different polarization are added together, they give rise to a wave of a different polarization state.

While someone answered a question saying that it did interfere and that the intensity would be:
[tex]I=I_1+I_2+2\sqrt{I_1I_2}cos(\alpha)[/tex]

It claims that there are still the same interference pattern, but it simply gets closer to no interference.

So which is right?Thanks in advance

Science news on Phys.org
Do you have a reference for the second answer?
Also see: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1110.4309.pdf
p8 ... the argument is that the components that are aligned in polarity interfere.

Related to Quantum interference with different polarization

1. What is quantum interference with different polarization?

Quantum interference with different polarization is a phenomenon in quantum physics where particles with different polarization states interact with each other and produce interference patterns. This occurs due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

2. How does quantum interference with different polarization occur?

Quantum interference with different polarization occurs when two particles with different polarization states are superimposed on each other. This causes the waves associated with each particle to interact and produce areas of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in an interference pattern.

3. What is the significance of quantum interference with different polarization?

Quantum interference with different polarization is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of particles at the quantum level. It also plays a crucial role in quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

4. Can quantum interference with different polarization be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum interference with different polarization cannot be observed in everyday life as it only occurs at the quantum level. It requires specialized equipment and controlled environments to be observed and studied.

5. How does quantum interference with different polarization affect our understanding of the universe?

Quantum interference with different polarization challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as it shows that particles can behave both as waves and particles. It also highlights the interconnectedness and complexity of the quantum world, leading to further studies and advancements in quantum physics.