Quantum Groups as a Generalization of String Theory

billtodd
Every once in a while I use my ancient trick of searching something in google with keywords, and found the above article. I don't think there's a free copy of it, because it's from 1989.

I guess I need to read the pink book on foundations of Q-Groups by Majid.
You know who also has written a book on Quantum Riemmannian Geometry, I wonder if it's worth the effort of reading it in the future towards a reliable Quantum Gravity theory, i.e. with actual predictions.

Physics news on Phys.org
billtodd said:
This paper certainly hasn't been very influential. According to Google Scholar, it's only been cited 5 times in the past 35 years, most recently in 1998.
(But amusingly, the online abstract includes a typo that mentions "the Heidelberg commutation rules", which sounds like a reference to local German traffic laws.:smile:)

renormalize said:
This paper certainly hasn't been very influential. According to Google Scholar, it's only been cited 5 times in the past 35 years, most recently in 1998.
(But amusingly, the online abstract includes a typo that mentions "the Heidelberg commutation rules", which sounds like a reference to local German traffic laws.:smile:)
Let's say it's April's Fool.

:oldbiggrin:

Did your read the paper it's only 5-6 pages, but I guess you like me don't know a lot about Q-Groups..
And reading from Wikipedia is never a substitute from the book.

That particular paper may have gone nowhere, but the general theme of quantum deformations of string theory has had a revival in recent years. String theory had its start in some particle scattering formulas (Veneziano amplitude, Virasoro-Shapiro amplitude) which began life purely as algebraic formulas, but which were later derived from the scattering of quantized strings.

Quantum deformations of these formulas (the first such may have been the "Coon amplitude"), which complicate them through the introduction of an extra parameter called "q", do exist. The question is whether these deformations can consistently be extended into a full theory. Recent work suggests No. But quantum groups do show up elsewhere in quantum field theory, e.g. here.