Quantum Gravity: Explaining the Theory Without Math

In summary: The two main approaches to quantum gravity are the theory of gravitons and the theory of space-time being discrete. Gravitons are a hypothetical particle that is thought to carry gravity. LQG tries to find gravitons in their own approach, because they believe that gravitons are necessary for a successful theory of quantum gravity.
TimeRip496
I know there is a theory regarding quantum gravity. Can anyone explains it to me how it works? I did try seaeching online, but all that is shown are the math which I don't even understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you check out this forum, you'll see lots and lots of theories concerning quantum gravity -- there is currently no consensus model, nor are we particularly close to one.

Did you have one particular model in mind?

TimeRip496 said:
I know there is a theory regarding quantum gravity. Can anyone explains it to me how it works? I did try seaeching online, but all that is shown are the math which I don't even understand.
I think you should read some popular books of Lee Smolin, such as "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity" and "The Trouble with Physics".

Likes Demystifier
Short words I would explain it like that:Quantum gravity is mixture of quantum mechanics and general relativity:biggrin:

TimeRip496 said:

Your premise is basically false. There is no theory regarding quantum gravity that has been fully worked out. There are a variety of approaches to coming up with a theory of quantum gravity that works, and some good hunches about how it should work in particular situations, but so far the set of theories of quantum gravity that work is a null set.

The difficult math comes with the territory. Really understanding quantum mechanics requires introductory graduate school/senior year undergraduate level math for math/physics majors degree of mathematical knowledge to really grasp. General relativity also requires seriously difficult math.

There are two main approaches to quantum gravity. One is to treat gravity as one more force carried by a hypothetical particle called a graviton. The other is to treat space-time as if it is not perfectly smooth, continuous and flat, and is instead discrete in some sense. Neither, however, can claim the prize of successfully coming up with a mathematically rigorous way to unite General Relativity and the Standard Model of particle physics.

ohwilleke said:
Your premise is basically false. There is no theory regarding quantum gravity that has been fully worked out. There are a variety of approaches to coming up with a theory of quantum gravity that works, and some good hunches about how it should work in particular situations, but so far the set of theories of quantum gravity that work is a null set.

The difficult math comes with the territory. Really understanding quantum mechanics requires introductory graduate school/senior year undergraduate level math for math/physics majors degree of mathematical knowledge to really grasp. General relativity also requires seriously difficult math.

There are two main approaches to quantum gravity. One is to treat gravity as one more force carried by a hypothetical particle called a graviton. The other is to treat space-time as if it is not perfectly smooth, continuous and flat, and is instead discrete in some sense. Neither, however, can claim the prize of successfully coming up with a mathematically rigorous way to unite General Relativity and the Standard Model of particle physics.

do string m theorists ever consider the second approach to QG? and why do lqg try to find gravitons in their own approach?

Related to Quantum Gravity: Explaining the Theory Without Math

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to explain the force of gravity and the behavior of space and time on a quantum level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity in an attempt to create a unified understanding of the universe.

2. Why is understanding quantum gravity important?

Understanding quantum gravity is important because it can help us to better understand the fundamental laws of the universe and potentially reconcile the discrepancies between the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It could also lead to advancements in technology and space exploration.

3. How does quantum gravity differ from classical gravity?

Classical gravity, or Newtonian gravity, is based on the concept of a force acting between masses. Quantum gravity, on the other hand, describes gravity as a curvature in the fabric of space-time caused by the presence of matter and energy. It also takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the idea of particles behaving as waves.

4. What are some proposed theories of quantum gravity?

Some of the most well-known theories of quantum gravity include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal dynamical triangulation. These theories all attempt to explain gravity at a quantum level, but they vary in their approaches and predictions.

5. How close are we to understanding quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is still a topic of ongoing research and there is currently no widely accepted theory. While some theories have shown promising results, there is still much to be discovered and understood. It is a complex and challenging area of study, but scientists continue to make progress in their understanding of quantum gravity.