Quantum Fluctuations of Spacetime and of Energy

In summary: The zero point energy has a fixed value , ok ? Well during a period of time, this energy can become uncertain. This implies that it can rise or lower to another value. This energy difference (ie this fluctuation) corresponds to a virtual particle. That's all
Curious6
I'm just confused on this point. The Uncertainty Principle states that there is always a minimum of uncertainty on small scales, leading to quantum fluctuations. However, can we say that quantum fluctuations of spacetime are quantum fluctuations of energy or are they different?

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious6 said:
I'm just confused on this point. The Uncertainty Principle states that there is always a minimum of uncertainty on small scales, leading to quantum fluctuations. However, can we say that quantum fluctuations of spacetime are quantum fluctuations of energy or are they different?

they are very different. the quantumfluctuations that give rise to the ground state-virtual particle sea in QFT arise from the ZPE's of all known interactions, apart from gravity. So they come from the zero point energy of the strong force, the weak force and the electromagnetic interactions...

I don't really know about the incorporation of ZPE-gravition field fluctuations but that certainly is not a QFT related matter and quite speculative to my knowledge. Perhaps others will elaborate on this specific argument

regards

marlon

I think they are different. Think of the ground state of a harmonic oscillator or the electromagnetic field. These ground states or vacuum states aren't zero cause of momentum-position uncertainty and not cause of energy time uncertainty. Energy time uncertainty gets important in the case of creation of virtual photons or other particles (applications in QED or vacuum polarisation, ...).

Kruger said:
I think they are different. Think of the ground state of a harmonic oscillator or the electromagnetic field. These ground states or vacuum states aren't zero cause of momentum-position uncertainty and not cause of energy time uncertainty. Energy time uncertainty gets important in the case of creation of virtual photons or other particles (applications in QED or vacuum polarisation, ...).

Well yes but you can apply the energy-time uncertainty onto the non-zero ZPE.

Vacuum polarization really is no direct consequence of all this. It really is an effect that follows from the vacuum being filled with charged virtual particle pairs and their "electric dipole-like" behaviour when electric fields are present, eg the vacuum polarization tensor

marlon

Interesting, it was just that I was speculating about the possibility of virtual particles arising due to the quantum fluctuations of spacetime and therefore pondering whether there is any relationship at all.

@marlon: I'm in trouble now. The electromagnetic field is a collection of harmonic oscillators. Each oscillator has infinity lifetime. So how can this oscillator's represent virtual particles that have not infinity lifetime?

Kruger said:
@marlon: I'm in trouble now. The electromagnetic field is a collection of harmonic oscillators. Each oscillator has infinity lifetime. So how can this oscillator's represent virtual particles that have not infinity lifetime?

Ahum ?

The zero point energy has a fixed value , ok ? Well during a period of time, this energy can become uncertain. This implies that it can rise or lower to another value. This energy difference (ie this fluctuation) corresponds to a virtual particle. That's all

Just think of the ZPE as one big oscillation and the uncertainties in energy correspond to little oscillations that are superimposed onto the big oscillation that respects the Einstein energy relation
marlon

@marlon: Well, thanks. Now I got it. :smile:

Related to Quantum Fluctuations of Spacetime and of Energy

1. What are quantum fluctuations of spacetime and energy?

Quantum fluctuations refer to the spontaneous and temporary changes in the properties of particles at the quantum level. These fluctuations can occur in both spacetime and energy, causing small, random variations in the fabric of space and the amount of energy present in a given region.

2. How do quantum fluctuations affect our understanding of the universe?

Quantum fluctuations play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics and cosmology. They help explain the uncertain and probabilistic nature of the quantum world, as well as the expansion and evolution of the universe.

3. Can quantum fluctuations be observed or measured?

Yes, quantum fluctuations have been observed and measured through various experiments, such as the Casimir effect and Hawking radiation. These fluctuations may also be indirectly observed through their effects on other physical phenomena.

4. How do quantum fluctuations relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Quantum fluctuations contribute to this uncertainty by causing unpredictable changes in the properties of particles at the quantum level.

5. Are quantum fluctuations responsible for the creation of the universe?

There is currently no definitive answer to this question. Some theories suggest that quantum fluctuations played a role in the formation of the universe during the Big Bang, while others propose alternative explanations. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the role of quantum fluctuations in the creation of the universe.