Quantum Entanglement: Explained with an Example

In summary, Dr. Chinese says that the strange outcomes that can happen with quantum entanglement examples can only be understood by studying one of them in detail.
tell_me_why
Quantum entanglement ?

Ok, after beating my head with numerous link on net somehow Icould not grasp the idea of quantum entaglement...all i understand is two particles somehow become co-related and then when separated to any distance still maintain co-realation , the moment you see one the other property is defined.

Whats wrong in this..whats weird in this ..i can't understand.

Take an example ..i got 2 pens red and blue .

now i put each in box and ask my friends to take them away.

then one of my friend open box and find the pen is red so definately the other would be blue.

also until my friend didn't open the box , either of them do not knew what color they have.

Can someone help me understanding this ...please given an example also instead of pasting me any link to internet.

Physics news on Phys.org

tell_me_why said:
Ok, after beating my head with numerous link on net somehow Icould not grasp the idea of quantum entaglement...all i understand is two particles somehow become co-related and then when separated to any distance still maintain co-realation , the moment you see one the other property is defined.

Whats wrong in this..whats weird in this ..i can't understand.

Take an example ..i got 2 pens red and blue .

now i put each in box and ask my friends to take them away.

then one of my friend open box and find the pen is red so definately the other would be blue.

also until my friend didn't open the box , either of them do not knew what color they have.

Can someone help me understanding this ...please given an example also instead of pasting me any link to internet.

Your example is fine, but for one small detail. That was understood in 1935 when the EPR paper was written. But it is spin statistics at other angles that cause the problems. This was pointed out by Bell in 1964. The relationship is cos^2(theta) and your example will not work for some groups of angles. Usual examples are 0/120/240 degrees (a la Mermin) or 0/22.5/45/67.5 degrees (CHSH).

tell_me_why said:
please given an example also instead of pasting me any link to internet.

In order to see the "strangeness" of the outcome for entangled states in examples like the ones Dr. Chinese mentions, you really have to study one of them in detail. You shouldn't expect someone to write one of them up completely for you here, when it's been done many times elsewhere on the Web.

I like Mermin's example, myself. He published it in an article titled "Is the Moon There When Nobody Looks? Reality and the Quantum Theory." You can easily find it with a Google search for "Mermin moon". I'm pretty sure Dr. Chinese has a link to it on his Web site.

If you have specific questions about this or some other example, feel free to ask!

jtbell said:
In order to see the "strangeness" of the outcome for entangled states in examples like the ones Dr. Chinese mentions, you really have to study one of them in detail. You shouldn't expect someone to write one of them up completely for you here, when it's been done many times elsewhere on the Web.

I like Mermin's example, myself. He published it in an article titled "Is the Moon There When Nobody Looks? Reality and the Quantum Theory." You can easily find it with a Google search for "Mermin moon". I'm pretty sure Dr. Chinese has a link to it on his Web site.

If you have specific questions about this or some other example, feel free to ask!

Echoing the above... here is my website link for the Mermin example:

http://drchinese.com/David/Bell_Theorem_Easy_Math.htm

This has easy math, but as jtbell says, you need to work through an example that DOESN'T support your contention to see the issues involved.

You are not the only one who want to understand the REAL PHYSICAL SENSE of the term “entanglement“ : see the thread “Entanglement and Concurrence: asking for definitions”.

May be you will find it in arXiv:0706.2488v2 :-)))

Related to Quantum Entanglement: Explained with an Example

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, no matter how far apart they are.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

In quantum entanglement, two particles are initially created or brought into a state where their properties are linked. This means that any change in one particle, such as its spin or polarization, will instantly affect the other particle, no matter the distance between them.

3. What is an example of quantum entanglement?

One example of quantum entanglement is the creation of two entangled photons. When one of the photons is measured and changes its state, the other photon will be instantaneously affected, even if they are on opposite ends of the universe.

4. What is the importance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has important implications for quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It also challenges our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and has led to new theories and experiments in the field of quantum mechanics.

5. Can we use quantum entanglement for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication. While the particles may be instantly connected, information cannot be transferred between them faster than the speed of light. The communication between entangled particles is still subject to the limitations of the speed of light.