Quantum entanglement and potential wells

In summary, electrons can become entangled in a "potential well," where their potential energy is lowest compared to their surroundings. This is because they are always entangled due to being indistinguishable fermions. State vectors and product states play a crucial role in understanding entanglement and quantum mechanics. For a deeper understanding, it is recommended to read a book on the subject.
satyesu
I've read that two electrons can become entangled in a "potential well," which is a point where potential energy is lowest compared to its surroundings. Is this correct? What does this have to do with entangling particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
satyesu said:
I've read that two electrons can become entangled in a "potential well," which is a point where potential energy is lowest compared to its surroundings. Is this correct? What does this have to do with entangling particles?
Entanglement happens pretty much whenever two particles interact with one another. Two electrons in a potential well will be close enough to one another to interact, so it's easy to entangle them.

Elekctrons are always entangled, because they are indistinguishable fermions, i.e., the state vectors are never product states but antisymmetrized product states,
$$|\Psi \rangle=|\psi_1,\psi_2 \rangle-|\psi_2, \psi_1 \rangle,$$
or superpositions of such antisymmetrized product states.

vanhees71 said:
Elekctrons are always entangled, because they are indistinguishable fermions, i.e., the state vectors are never product states but antisymmetrized product states,
$$|\Psi \rangle=|\psi_1,\psi_2 \rangle-|\psi_2, \psi_1 \rangle,$$
or superpositions of such antisymmetrized product states.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. That lingo is above my head so far. What are state vectors and product states, and if e-'s can't be product states at all how can they be "asymmetrized" product states? And, Nugatory, thank you very much.

I think my library has that! But I'll probably have to reserve it. Thanks, though!

Likes vanhees71

Related to Quantum entanglement and potential wells

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in a way that their quantum states are dependent on each other, even when separated by large distances.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when particles are created or interact in a way that their quantum states become correlated. This means that the particles are in a shared state, and any changes to one particle will affect the other particle instantaneously, regardless of the distance between them.

3. What is a potential well in quantum mechanics?

A potential well is a region in space where a particle has a lower potential energy compared to the surrounding areas. In quantum mechanics, potential wells are often used to describe the forces that particles experience in a certain area.

4. How does quantum entanglement relate to potential wells?

In quantum mechanics, particles can become entangled when they interact within a potential well. This is because the forces within the well cause the particles to become correlated, resulting in entanglement.

5. How is quantum entanglement and potential wells used in technology?

Quantum entanglement and potential wells are used in various technologies, including quantum computing and quantum communication. Entangled particles can be used to store and process information in quantum computers, while potential wells can be used to control and manipulate the states of these particles. This has the potential to greatly improve the speed and efficiency of computing and communication systems.