Quantum Energy Doubt: Solving a Particle Problem

In summary, the teacher assigned the student to solve a problem involving quantum concepts. The problem is to find the ground state energy of a particle in a potential pit of width a. If the width of the pit is doubled, the integration limits are doubled and the eigenvalues of the function do not change. The student is not sure how to solve for the wave function. If the width of the pit is doubled, the integration limits are doubled and the eigenvalues of the function do not change. If the wave function is known, the student is to evaluate the coefficients of a linear combination of the new potential eigenfunctions with each its different energy.
Frank Einstein

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a problem related to some quantum concepts.

One teacher of mine has tasked me with solving the next problem:

Given a particle on its fundamental state in a potential pit of width a, V=0 between 0 and a and infinite at the rest of the space. Suddenly, the width changes to 2a, we proceed to measure the energy without changing the wave function.

a) Which is the most likely value? And the probability of measuring that value?

b) Which is the expected value of the energy? And its uncertainty?

2. Homework Equations

E=(P2/2m)+V(x)
^H=(-iħ*(∂/∂x))2/2m +V(x)
E=∫dxψ*[^H]ψ+V(x), the integration limits are 0 and a.
<E>=∫φEφE*, the integration limits are 0 and a.

The Attempt at a Solution

If we double the width of the pit , we double the integration limits; the eigenvalues of the function don't change if the function doesn't.
I'n not sure how th keep with it, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you explicitly measure the energy, you will measure an eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian. You need to find out which linear combinations of the new potential the eigenfunction of the old one corresponds to. The point is that the eigenfunction of the old potential is not an eigenfunction of the new one.

Likes Frank Einstein
Ψ=eigenfunction of the corresponding eighenvalue I assume that the particle can be considered free in the pit. Ψ=(1/√[2π])∫dk φ(k)Exp[kx-(hk2/2m*(t-t0))].
Where φ=∫dx Exp[-ikx]Ψ(x, t0)
I don't have the term Ψ(x, t0), so I can't calulate φ for both integration limits.

So your first problem is then to figure out what the ground state wave function is by solving the Schrödinger equation. For later convenience, it will also be good to have the wave functions of the excited states.

Which is :Eigenvalue= AExp[ik]+BExp[-ik], where k=√[2mE/ħ2]
Am I correct?
Because this doesn't solve the problem of my lack of initial condition

Yes, but all k are not allowed. You need to make sure they fulfil the boundary conditions imposed by having infinite potential outside of the well. This is what will give you a discrete energy spectrum.

If I write φ=Asin(kx)+Bcos(kx) and I say φ=0 at x=a, x=0, I can define energy as (nπħ)2/(2ma2)
Then, I have the finite values of the energy. But I have an indetermination, of n.
With this energy will I be able to solve φ for any x and then Ψ?

So what n corresponds to the ground state of the first system, i.e., the one with the lowest energy? What is the k corresponding to the ground state in the original system?

For the second system: How would you find the probability of a general wave function of being in the nth energy eigenstate?

To the first question, with n=0 I have the lowest energy possible, so k would also be 0.
To the second. I would integrate between 0 and a ∫|ΨΨ*|dx, for each x (the possible value); the inegral would be the probability to measure that x.
Then I I have to find the right value of A so the inegral would have a value of 1

Frank Einstein said:
To the first question, with n=0 I have the lowest energy possible, so k would also be 0.

No, this is not the case, n=0 results in a trivial solution, i.e., ##\psi = 0##.

Frank Einstein said:
To the second. I would integrate between 0 and a ∫|ΨΨ*|dx, for each x (the possible value); the inegral would be the probability to measure that x.

It is not about being in a particular position, the question is what is the probability of being in a particular energy eigenstate.

Then n=1 and the chance of a certain eigenvalue is ∫|φφ*|2dx.
Am I correct now?

Not good. Re-read Oro's posts 2 and 4. By now you should have a (normalized!) function ##\Psi(x)## on [0,a] which is an eigenfunction of the old Hamiltonian. Extend it to [0,2a] with ##\Psi(x)=0## on [a,2a]. This ##\Psi## is not an eigenfunction of the new Hamiltonian, but a linear combination of these new eigenfunctions with each its different energy. Your task is to evaluate the coefficients.

Likes Frank Einstein
Allright, I gess I will figure how to do this with the information you have given me.
Thank you very much both of you for your anwsers.

Related to Quantum Energy Doubt: Solving a Particle Problem

1. What is quantum energy doubt?

Quantum energy doubt refers to the uncertainty or unpredictability in the measurement of a particle's energy in quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental concept in quantum physics and is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

2. What is the particle problem in quantum energy doubt?

The particle problem in quantum energy doubt refers to the difficulty in accurately determining a particle's energy due to its dual nature as both a particle and a wave. This results in a lack of precise information about the particle's position and momentum, leading to uncertainty in its energy measurement.

3. How is quantum energy doubt solved?

Quantum energy doubt is solved using mathematical equations and principles in quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. These tools allow scientists to make probabilistic predictions about a particle's energy and better understand the uncertainty involved.

4. Why is quantum energy doubt important?

Quantum energy doubt is important because it is a fundamental aspect of the quantum world and has implications for many areas of science, including particle physics, chemistry, and technology. It also challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world and has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies, such as quantum computing.

5. How does quantum energy doubt impact our daily lives?

Quantum energy doubt may seem like a complex and abstract concept, but it has real-life applications that impact our daily lives. For example, it plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also helps us understand the behavior of matter on a microscopic scale, leading to advancements in fields like medicine and material science.