Quantum dots Need help in analysis

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of gold quantum dots, which are created for human use as an alternative to organic dyes due to their non-reactive and non-toxic properties. They are also being used for specific cell analysis and have potential applications in fields such as display technology and cancer treatment. The question raised is whether creating multi-electron gold quantum dots would have advantages over single-electron ones, such as more discrete energy levels and the ability to emit at different wavelengths. The speaker is currently working on perfecting the process of creating multi-wavelength gold quantum dots and invites others to ask questions or learn more about this new technology.
tghn
Quantum dots! Need help in analysis! :D

hey guys,

so long story short is that I've created gold quantum dots for my uni dissertation. These particles are formed with a protein mesh and been made to not to react with any elements as it's meant to be for human use. These gold quantum dots are being created to be used instead of organic dyes, since they are not prone to photobleaching! Therefore far superior to their counterparts. Further to this they are not toxic. The point of this is to highlight specific parts of the cell for further analysis. Obviously, there are many other uses for them such as quantum dot display, cancer treatment etc. At the moment, I have created single wavelength gold quantum dots with a single electron however if I were to create new gold quantum dots with more electrons, how would this be more advantageous over their single electron counterparts? Would having more electrons therefore mean more discrete energy levels? And therefore can PL at more values of lambda?

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
O if you have any question or interested in quantum dots, I will gladly run you through what I've done! Since it's a relatively new tech. I'm actually in the process of perfecting how to make multi wavelength gold quantum dots atm, my previous two attempts have failed due to the 11-MUA not dissolving in ultra pure water (I think).

Maybe you could make small lasers.

If this is your research area, shouldn't you already know all of the answers?

lol I wish I knew all the answers... Would make life so much easier! I guess that's the beauty of physics - unlimited knowledge to be acquired

Related to Quantum dots Need help in analysis

1. What are quantum dots and how are they used in analysis?

Quantum dots are tiny semiconductor particles that are used to study and analyze biological and chemical systems at a molecular level. They are often used as fluorescent markers in biological imaging and as sensors in chemical detection.

2. How do quantum dots differ from traditional fluorescent dyes?

Quantum dots have unique optical and electronic properties that allow for more sensitive and precise analysis compared to traditional fluorescent dyes. They have a narrower emission spectrum, longer fluorescence lifetime, and are more resistant to photobleaching.

3. What techniques are commonly used for quantum dot analysis?

Some commonly used techniques for quantum dot analysis include fluorescence spectroscopy, confocal microscopy, and single-molecule imaging. These techniques allow for the visualization and characterization of quantum dots in various biological and chemical systems.

4. What are the benefits of using quantum dots in analysis?

Quantum dots offer several advantages in analysis, including their high sensitivity, stability, and tunable properties. They also have a longer shelf life compared to traditional fluorescent dyes, making them a cost-effective option for long-term experiments.

5. What are some potential applications of quantum dots in analysis?

Quantum dots have a wide range of potential applications in analysis, including drug discovery, disease diagnosis, and environmental monitoring. They can also be used in nanotechnology for the development of new materials and devices.