Quantum cryptography and uncertainty relations

In summary, quantum cryptography uses polarisation as a form of encryption, taking advantage of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Specifically, the uncertainty relation is attached to two properties of photons, which are represented by matrices corresponding to measuring different polarisation schemes. These matrices have the same form as the Pauli matrices and do not commute, leading to the uncertainty relation. This method is commonly used due to its ease of measurement and preservation by optical fibres.
Rich19
Almost all the explanations of quantum cryptography I've come across simply say that the encryption is "protected by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle". I'm having a little difficulty getting any more detail than that without getting way out of my depth (I'm only an A-level student!). Does anyone know precisely which two properties of photons have the uncertainty relation for polarisation? I'm not sure if it's the horizontal/vertical components of polarization, the rectilinear/diagonal schemes of polarization, or something else entirely like spin...

(Apologies if this thread is in the wrong forum. It's for a research project I'm doing for coursework, but I thought the thread would fit better here than in the homework forum.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally you use polarisation, it's easy to measure and is preserved by optical fibres.
The wiki article is a reasonably simple explanation.

Yes, you can use horizontal/vertical (H/V) vs diagonal/anti-diagonal polarizations (H\pm V), or H/V vs right-hand and left-hand circular polarization. You use what are called "mutually unbiased bases" for photon polarization.

Thank you for your replies, but perhaps I was a little unclear before - I think I have a reasonable grasp of the method of encryption etc. I'm not so sure about what it is specifically about polarisation that had the uncertainty relation attached to it. Which two variables do not commute? Is it something like the vertical/horizontal components of polarisation, or the different polarisation schemes (the "mutually unbiased bases"), or something else entirely about polarisation?

If you represent polarization as a 2-d complex unit vector, (a,b) w.r.t one particular basis, say the horizontal/vertical polarization basis, then the operators corresponding to measuring H/V, diagonal/anti-diagonal, and circular polarizations are represented by 3 matrices that have the same form as the Pauli matrices, sigma_z, sigma_x, sigma_y, respectively. And those don't commute, and hence lead to an uncertainty relation.

borgwal said:
If you represent polarization as a 2-d complex unit vector, (a,b) w.r.t one particular basis, say the horizontal/vertical polarization basis, then the operators corresponding to measuring H/V, diagonal/anti-diagonal, and circular polarizations are represented by 3 matrices that have the same form as the Pauli matrices, sigma_z, sigma_x, sigma_y, respectively. And those don't commute, and hence lead to an uncertainty relation.

Excellent, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! :biggrin:

Related to Quantum cryptography and uncertainty relations

What is quantum cryptography?

Quantum cryptography is a method of secure communication that relies on the principles of quantum mechanics. It uses the properties of quantum particles to transmit information, making it virtually impossible for any outside party to intercept or decode the message.

What are uncertainty relations in quantum mechanics?

Uncertainty relations in quantum mechanics refer to the fundamental limitations in the ability to simultaneously measure certain properties of a quantum system. According to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with complete accuracy.

How does quantum cryptography ensure security?

Quantum cryptography uses the principle of quantum entanglement, where two particles are connected in such a way that any changes to one particle will affect the other. By encoding information in these entangled particles, any attempt to intercept or measure the particles will result in a detectable disturbance, alerting the sender and ensuring the security of the message.

What are the advantages of quantum cryptography over classical cryptography?

Unlike classical cryptography, which relies on mathematical algorithms, quantum cryptography is based on the laws of physics and is therefore considered unbreakable. It also offers the ability to detect any attempts at eavesdropping, adding an extra layer of security.

What are the potential applications of quantum cryptography?

Quantum cryptography has the potential to revolutionize communication and data security in fields such as banking, government, and military. It can also be used for secure communication in fields such as healthcare and e-commerce.