Quantum Cosmology and Quantum Computing

In summary, the conversation discusses David Deutsch and Michael Lockwood's article on time travel and Everett's interpretation of quantum physics. It is stated that Everett's interpretation is controversial among physicists, but it is believed to be the prevailing interpretation in the fields of quantum cosmology and quantum computing. The conversation concludes with the question of whether or not Everett has any alternatives in these fields, to which the response is that it is not true that he has no alternatives.
Alexis1304
Hello All,
I've just recently read David Deutsch and Michael Lockwood article about Time Travel of 1994 in Scientific American.They stated,that although among the physicists Everett's theory remains controversial,it has no alternatives in Quantum Cosmology and Quantum Computing.Is it really true?Perhaps this post should go under Cosmology section, but I decided to put it here. Thanks for the responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexis1304 said:
Hello All,
I've just recently read David Deutsch and Michael Lockwood article about Time Travel of 1994 in Scientific American.They stated,that although among the physicists Everett's theory remains controversial,it has no alternatives in Quantum Cosmology and Quantum Computing.Is it really true?Perhaps this post should go under Cosmology section, but I decided to put it here. Thanks for the responses.

Everett had an interpretation, not a theory. There are plenty of alternative interpretations.

The difference is that no one has yet to figure out an experiment that has any chance of discriminating between interpretations. So believe whichever interpretation you like.

Hornbein said:
Everett had an interpretation, not a theory. There are plenty of alternative interpretations.

The difference is that no one has yet to figure out an experiment that has any chance of discriminating between interpretations. So believe whichever interpretation you like.
Yes,I understand that,my question is specific about Everett regarding Quantum Cosmology and Computation

Alexis1304 said:
Yes,I understand that,my question is specific about Everett regarding Quantum Cosmology and Computation
OK, but I believe that interpretations can't be distinguished in any context. So IMO context doesn't matter. Perhaps I don't understand your question.

Hornbein said:
OK, but I believe that interpretations can't be distinguished in any context. So IMO context doesn't matter. Perhaps I don't understand your question.
My question is: ok,Everett's interpretation is considered controversial among physicists,but - prevailing among people who engage in Quantum Cocmology/Quantum Computing,according to Deutsch/Lockwood(1994).My question is - is it really true that Everett has no alternatives in Quantum Cosmology/Quantum Computing?

Alexis1304 said:
My question is: ok,Everett's interpretation is considered controversial among physicists,but - prevailing among people who engage in Quantum Cocmology/Quantum Computing,according to Deutsch/Lockwood(1994).My question is - is it really true that Everett has no alternatives in Quantum Cosmology/Quantum Computing?
No, that is not true.

Heinera said:
No, that is not true.
I also had gut feeling that it is not...

Related to Quantum Cosmology and Quantum Computing

1. What is quantum cosmology?

Quantum cosmology is a branch of physics that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity to study the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe at the smallest scales.

2. How does quantum cosmology differ from traditional cosmology?

While traditional cosmology focuses on the large-scale structure of the universe and its evolution over time, quantum cosmology takes into account the quantum nature of the universe and the role of fundamental particles and forces in shaping its structure.

3. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a computational paradigm that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to process and store information. Unlike classical computers, which use bits to represent information as either 0 or 1, quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) that can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

4. What is the relationship between quantum cosmology and quantum computing?

Quantum cosmology and quantum computing are both based on the principles of quantum mechanics, but they have different applications. Quantum cosmology uses quantum mechanics to study the universe, while quantum computing uses it to perform complex calculations and solve problems that are difficult for classical computers.

5. What are the potential implications of quantum cosmology and quantum computing?

The study of quantum cosmology could provide insights into the fundamental nature of the universe and help us understand its origins. Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize fields such as cryptography, materials science, and drug discovery by solving problems that are intractable for classical computers.