Quantum Computing: Change of Basis

In summary: U$ is its own inverse. In summary, we have shown that $A'$ and $A''$ are related by a unitary transformation, where $U$ is given by $U_{ij}=\langle v_i|w_j\rangle$ and is its own inverse. The proof is based on the fact that $A'$ and $A''$ have elements $A_{ij}'=\langle v_i|A|v_j\rangle$ and $A_{ij}''=\langle w_i|A|w_j\rangle$ respectively, and the known results/facts that $A=\sum_{i,j}A_{ij}'|v_i\rangle\langle v_j|$ and
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
This is Exercise 2.20 in Nielsen and Chuang's Quantum Computation and Quantum Information, on page 71.

Suppose $A'$ and $A''$ are matrix representations of an operator $A$ on a vector space $V$ with respect to two different orthonormal bases, $|v_i\rangle$ and $|w_i\rangle$. Then the elements of $A'$ and $A''$ are $A_{ij}'=\langle v_i|A|v_j\rangle$ and $A_{ij}''=\langle w_i|A|w_j\rangle$. Characterize the relationship between $A'$ and $A''$.

My solution so far: I claim that $A'$ and $A''$ are related by a unitary transformation; that is, there exists a unitary transformation $U$ such that $A'=UA''U^{-1}$. Of course, since $U^{-1}=U^{\dagger}$, this becomes $A'=UA''U^{\dagger}$, or $A'U=UA''$.

Let $\displaystyle U=\sum_i|w_i\rangle\langle v_i|$. It is easy to show that $U$ is unitary. We can show that $|w_i\rangle = U|v_i\rangle$. Here is a further list of results/known facts:
\begin{align*}
A_{ij}'&=\langle v_i|A|v_j\rangle \\
A_{ij}''&=\langle w_i|A|w_j\rangle \\
U^{\dagger}&=\sum_i|v_i\rangle\langle w_i| \\
A&=\sum_{i,j}A_{ij}'|v_i\rangle\langle v_j| \\
A&=\sum_{i,j}A_{ij}''|w_i\rangle\langle w_j| \\
U^{\dagger}AU&=\sum_{i,j}A_{ij}''|v_i\rangle\langle v_j|
\end{align*}

I need to show either that $A'=U^{\dagger}A''U$ or $A''=U^{\dagger}A'U$ (whichever is correct). But I can't seem to make further progress. Any ideas?

By the way, please don't use any fancy terms like "endomorphisms of the automorphic normal subgroup" or anything like that (sorry, Deveno!). I'm afraid I won't understand it at all.

Many thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ackbach said:
$$A'=UA''U^{\dagger} \quad \textrm{(Hypothesis)} \tag 1$$
$$A_{ij}'=\langle v_i|A|v_j\rangle \tag 2$$
$$A=\sum_{i,j}A_{ij}''|w_i\rangle\langle w_j| \tag 3 $$

Hi Ackbach,

Changing indices, we can write $(2)$ as:
$$A_{kl}'=\langle v_k|A|v_l\rangle \tag 4 $$

When we substitute $(3)$ in $(4)$, we get:
$$A_{kl}'=\langle v_k|\sum_{i,j}A_{ij}''|w_i\rangle\langle w_j| |v_l\rangle
=\sum_{i,j}\langle v_k|w_i\rangle A_{ij}''\langle w_j|v_l\rangle \tag 5
$$

Combining $(1)$ and $(5)$:
$$U_{ij} = \langle v_i|w_j\rangle$$

I like Serena said:
$$U_{ij} = \langle v_i|w_j\rangle$$

Is this consistent with $\displaystyle U=\sum_i|w_i\rangle\langle v_i|$?

Ackbach said:
Is this consistent with $\displaystyle U=\sum_i|w_i\rangle\langle v_i|$?

I don't think so - the "dimensions" are off.
Written as $U = \sum_i|w_i\rangle\langle v_i|$ it is an operator.
Written as $U_{ij} = \langle v_i | w_j \rangle$ it is a matrix.
It should be a matrix to satisfy $A' = UA''U^\dagger$, not an operator.

I like Serena said:
I don't think so - the "dimensions" are off.
Written as $U = \sum_i|w_i\rangle\langle v_i|$ it is an operator.
Written as $U_{ij} = \langle v_i | w_j \rangle$ it is a matrix.
It should be a matrix to satisfy $A' = UA''U^\dagger$, not an operator.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the distinction between an operator and a matrix is important for $U$. Presumably when you write $U_{ij}$, you mean the $i,j$ component of the matrix, whereas when you write $U$, you mean the whole matrix, right?

Ackbach said:
I could be wrong, but I don't think the distinction between an operator and a matrix is important for $U$.

An operator is independent of a basis.
We have to pick a basis before we can multiply it with a matrix that matches it with respect to the basis.
Alternatively, we can multiply operators with each other, but only when we assign a basis to the result does it become a numerical result in the form of a matrix with respect to that basis.

Consider physics when we have lengths $l = 1\text{ m}$ and $s = 10 \text{ cm}$.
We can talk about $l + s$ leaving in the middle what the unit is.
But we cannot talk about $l + 10$ or $1 + s$ without specifying the unit.
Only when we pick for instance meters can we write it as $1 + 0.10$ with the understanding that the unit is $\textrm{m}$.

Presumably when you write $U_{ij}$, you mean the $i,j$ component of the matrix, whereas when you write $U$, you mean the whole matrix, right?

Yes.
Btw, currently the distinction between an operator and a matrix is a bit ambiguous, since the same typeface is used.
That leaves the proof that $U$ given by $U_{ij} = \langle v_i | w_j \rangle$ is a unitary matrix:
$$({UU}^\dagger)_{ij} = \sum_k \langle v_i | w_k \rangle \langle w_k | v_j \rangle
= \langle v_i | \mathcal I | v_j \rangle
= \langle v_i | v_j \rangle
= I_{ij}
$$

Related to Quantum Computing: Change of Basis

1. What is quantum computing and how does it differ from classical computing?

Quantum computing is a computational paradigm that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to process and manipulate information. Unlike classical computing, which uses binary bits (0s and 1s), quantum computing uses quantum bits (qubits) that can exist in multiple states simultaneously, allowing for parallel processing and solving certain problems much faster.

2. What is "change of basis" in the context of quantum computing?

In quantum computing, "change of basis" refers to the process of transforming a qubit from one basis to another. This is necessary because the state of a qubit is not fixed, but rather described by a mathematical representation known as a wavefunction. Changing the basis allows us to manipulate the qubit to perform calculations and solve problems.

3. Why is change of basis important in quantum computing?

Change of basis is important in quantum computing because it allows us to manipulate and control the qubit, which is the fundamental unit of information in quantum computing. By changing the basis, we can perform calculations and solve problems that would be impossible with classical computing methods.

4. How is change of basis achieved in quantum computing?

Change of basis is achieved through the use of quantum gates, which are physical operations that manipulate the state of a qubit. These gates can rotate the qubit's state around different axes, allowing for the transformation of the qubit from one basis to another. Different combinations and sequences of gates can be used to achieve different basis transformations.

5. What are some potential applications of change of basis in quantum computing?

Change of basis has numerous potential applications in quantum computing, including quantum cryptography, quantum simulations, and quantum error correction. It can also be used to solve complex optimization and search problems, as well as in machine learning and artificial intelligence applications.