Quantum Computers: what are they better at?

In summary, quantum computers are able to perform computations at a much faster rate than conventional computers due to their use of quantum mechanics. This allows them to evaluate a much larger number of functions and transform probabilities to achieve desired results. They are particularly useful for NP-hard problems such as combinatorial optimization and breaking RSA encryptions. However, their design and control pose significant challenges.
rorix_bw
Can someone explain to me what sort of things quantum computers can/could do, based on their differences in their design, that are harder for conventional computers?

So far I have a list that consists of 1) integer factorisation.

I was hoping someone could extend that for me! :-) After all there are operating QC right now, so someone must be using them for something.

Edit: You can get technical, if it's related to programming. QM, maybe not so :-) I have experience with software engineering that at a level that would qualify as commercial competence though I don't do it for a living.

Computer science news on Phys.org
They are 100 times faster, remember computers work by reading 0s and 1s, physically those 0s and 1s are represented with switches (transistors).
Quantum computers use the properties of quantum mechanics (a very very small world)
to treat data, so it is faster than turning a switch on and off

I'm not a physicist so I'm not able to paint the complete picture, but they are a lot faster and I guess they will be used for cloud computing.

Uhh ruben94, that's not the point of a quantum computer.

To rorix_bw, the best way to think of the benefits of a quantum computer is that this computer works on the space of evaluating 2^N functions where N is the number of qu-bits used in the quantum computer.

From the evaluation we get probabilities associated with each state and the idea is to transform these probabilities in a way physically to something that finally collapses to a result that is in-line with the computation required.

In a conventional computer: we have to perform the computation based on a given algorithmic description and the computer evaluates it.

In a quantum computer, because of the superpositions of states, everything is evaluated (corresponding to our 2^N part), and the key is to then to transform the probabilities in a way that will give the result we are looking for.

Of course we have to deal with the inputs to the quantum computer, the transformation of probabilities that correspond with the actual algorithm/computation we are making, and then how all of these things affect the collapse of the result.

But apart from that we have to deal with the physical side of decoherence and the unpredictability and difficulty to control these kinds of systems which is the real major challenge currently for QC design (especially for large systems of qu-bits).

Remember: the key thing is the super-positions of states, how these correspond to probabilities, and how both of these are exploited to do computation in a general manner that is more powerful than the standard computational paradigm.

Quantum computers are theoretically useful for NP-hard combinatorial optimization problems such as the "Traveling Salesman" where you try to figure out the shortest route to cover all the sales territory.

Related to Quantum Computers: what are they better at?

1. What is a quantum computer and how does it work?

A quantum computer is a type of computer that uses quantum bits (qubits) instead of traditional binary bits to perform calculations. These qubits can exist in multiple states at the same time, allowing for much faster processing and solving of complex problems. Quantum computers use principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform calculations.

2. What are the advantages of quantum computers over traditional computers?

Quantum computers are better at solving certain types of problems that are difficult or impossible for traditional computers to solve efficiently. These include tasks such as simulating complex systems, factoring large numbers, and searching through large databases. Quantum computers also have the potential to greatly increase the speed and efficiency of machine learning algorithms.

3. How are quantum computers being used currently?

Quantum computers are still in the early stages of development and are primarily being used for research and experimentation. Some companies and organizations are using quantum computers for tasks such as optimizing supply chains, developing new materials, and improving financial modeling. However, widespread practical applications are still in the future.

4. What are the challenges in building and using quantum computers?

One of the main challenges in building quantum computers is maintaining the delicate state of the qubits, which can easily be disrupted by outside interference. This requires specialized equipment and techniques for cooling and isolating the qubits. In addition, programming and controlling quantum computers is more complex than traditional computers, and there is currently a shortage of skilled quantum computer scientists.

5. Will quantum computers replace traditional computers?

It is unlikely that quantum computers will completely replace traditional computers in the near future. While they have the potential to solve certain problems much faster, quantum computers are not well-suited for tasks such as word processing, web browsing, and other everyday computing tasks. It is more likely that quantum computers will be used in combination with traditional computers, with each type of computer performing the tasks for which it is best suited.