Quantum Computation and Quantum Information

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between qubits and the points on the unit sphere in R(3) known as the Bloch sphere. It explains that any qubit can be expressed as a normalized state vector with coefficients a and b, which can be written in terms of real numbers and a phase factor. It then shows that there is a one to one correspondence between qubits and points on the Bloch sphere. The conversation also addresses a question about the relationship between the radius and angle in the expression of the state vector.
G.F.Again
Hey all, I'm a beginner of the Quantum Computation and Quantum Information. For a long time, I feel very confuse about the question bellow. Could you do me a favor and show me the proof? Many thanks!
Question:
Show that any qubit can be expressed as
psi=exp(iγ)[cos(θ/2)0+exp(iΦ)sin(θ/2)1]
for real numbers γ,θ and Φ. The phase factor exp(iγ) has no observational effect and can be dropped.
And then show that there is a one to one correspondence between qubits
psi=cos(θ/2)0+exp(iΦ)sin(θ/2)1
and the points on the unit sphere in R(3) called the Bloch sphere, with and as the spherical coordinates of a point of the sphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by expressing any normalized state vector as [tex]|\psi \rangle = a |0\rangle + b|1\rangle [/tex], where normalization entails [tex] a^2 + b^2 =1 [/tex]. [tex] a,b [/tex] are complex numbers, which can always be expressed as [tex] a = r_a e^{i\gamma_a} [/tex], [tex] b = r_b e^{i\gamma_b} [/tex]. This means that [tex] a^2 + b^2 =r_a^2+r_b^2=1 [/tex], and since [tex] r_a, r_b [/tex] are positive we can express them as [tex] r_a = \cos(\theta /2), r_b= \sin(\theta/2) [/tex] where [tex] 0 \leq \theta \leq \pi [/tex]. Consequently, we can write [tex]|\psi \rangle = \cos(\theta /2) e^{i\gamma_a} |0\rangle + \sin(\theta/2) e^{i\gamma_b} |1\rangle = e^{i\gamma}(\cos(\theta /2)|0\rangle + \sin(\theta/2) e^{i\Phi} |1\rangle )[/tex], where [tex] \gamma = \gamma_a, \Phi = \gamma_b-\gamma_a [/tex].

Thank you, Davidk!

how is it that you can say r_a = cos (theta/2) when r_a is a radius with a real length and cos(theta) is a dimensionless quantity?

Related to Quantum Computation and Quantum Information

What is quantum computation?

Quantum computation is a type of computing that uses quantum-mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. It is based on the principles of quantum physics, which allows for the manipulation of information in ways that are not possible with classical computers.

What is quantum information?

Quantum information is the information that is manipulated and processed in a quantum computer. It refers to the quantum state of a system, which consists of multiple quantum bits (qubits) that can represent and store information in a more complex and powerful way than classical bits.

How is quantum computation different from classical computation?

Quantum computation differs from classical computation in several ways. Firstly, classical computers use classical bits, which can only represent values of 0 or 1, while quantum computers use qubits, which can represent multiple values simultaneously. Additionally, quantum computers can perform operations on these qubits in superposition, which allows for parallel processing and faster computations. They also utilize entanglement, which allows for the sharing of information between qubits, leading to greater computational power.

What are the potential applications of quantum computation and quantum information?

Quantum computation and quantum information have the potential to revolutionize various fields, including cryptography, drug discovery, materials science, and artificial intelligence. They can also greatly improve computational power and efficiency, enabling faster and more accurate simulations and optimizations.

What are the current challenges in quantum computation and quantum information?

There are several challenges that need to be addressed in quantum computation and quantum information. These include developing more reliable and scalable quantum hardware, improving the error correction and fault-tolerance of quantum systems, and finding ways to effectively program and control quantum operations. Another major challenge is the need to better understand the effects of decoherence and noise on quantum systems and how to mitigate them.