Quantum - 1D crystal model using evenly spaced delta functions

In summary: You can see this in the equation for psi. The zeroes are at the end of the potential string and the ones in the middle are the actual sites of the electron.
lunamoon_girl

Homework Statement

Hey, the question is about delta function potentials V(x) = -g[... del(x + 3b/2) + del(x + b/2) + del(x - b/2) ...] going on out to a large x in either direction.

a) sketch the ground-state wave fn, write the form of psi(x) for -b/2 to + b/2
b) show that e^z = (z+z0)/(z-z0) z = qb and z0 = mgb/hbar^2
c) "snip off a string of N of these sites, join the cut ends to make a molecule of length Nb, what is the lowest energy?

Homework Equations

schrodinger's eqn psi'' = 2m/hbar^2[-g*del(x-b/2) - E]psi

The Attempt at a Solution

Dividing it into regions - all of these delta functions will be even fns in the ground state - and they will take the form Ae^qx + Be^-qx
Actually -- in this case A = B
the delta functions will sort of look like telephone poles with wires hanging off of them:

^^^^ where each peak is b/2, 3b/2, etc. Make the bottom parts curved, not pointed.

So I have the following work:

integ[psi''] from just before b/2 to just after b/2 =

2m/hbar^2 (-g)psi. This was from schr. eqn where the energy was infinitesimally small because of the small integration, and the delta function killed all of the potential except at b/2. so = (-2mg/hbar^2)(B(e^q(b/2) + e^-qb/2))

You also know that psi to the right of b/2 = psi to the left of b/2 -- thus:
B(e^qx + e^-qx)(e^-qb) = C(e^qx + e^-qx)
I think... that B = C... ... er. Yeah?

The other side of the eqn is from taking the derivative of psi at b/2 = qB(e^qb/2 - e^-qb/2)(e^-qb) - qB(e^qb/2 - e^-qb/2)

So i set this = to (-2mg/hbar^2)(B(e^q(b/2) + e^-qb/2))

I am now stuck - I cannot find algebra that pops out e^z = z+z0/z-z0

It's a long question. I'm so sorry. If you can offer any guidance/corrections I would really appreciate it.

^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
lunamoon_girl said:

Homework Statement

Hey, the question is about delta function potentials V(x) = -g[... del(x + 3b/2) + del(x + b/2) + del(x - b/2) ...] going on out to a large x in either direction.

a) sketch the ground-state wave fn, write the form of psi(x) for -b/2 to + b/2
b) show that e^z = (z+z0)/(z-z0) z = qb and z0 = mgb/hbar^2
(b) makes no sense to me at all. Maybe someone else will do better.
c) "snip off a string of N of these sites, join the cut ends to make a molecule of length Nb, what is the lowest energy?

Homework Equations

schrodinger's eqn psi'' = 2m/hbar^2[-g*del(x-b/2) - E]psi

The Attempt at a Solution

Dividing it into regions - all of these delta functions will be even fns in the ground state - and they will take the form Ae^qx + Be^-qx
Will it really? First of all, the delta functions do not take any form, it is the wave function whose form you want. What are solutions to the SE for regions where V=0?

lol. The answer was stupid/trivial for part c. It is apparently as if the crystal is an endless string of delta potentials - aka it looks like a string of delta potentials from - infinity to infinity because the wave function will continue to traverse the circle without 'realizing' it has already gone 2pi.

Anyways, part B was simply algebra. I made it work eventually, but everything I said about how to do the problem was right -for anyone who sees this and is curious

I don't get it. Shouldn't the wavefunctions be propagating Bloch waves? My quantum books are at work so I can't look anything up--but isn't this potential a first approximation for the ion cores in certain solids? (or have I mis-remembered...)

Yes, you can find this in quantum books (griffiths) and in solid state books (kittel). It is called the Dirac comb.

Related to Quantum - 1D crystal model using evenly spaced delta functions

1. What is a 1D crystal model using evenly spaced delta functions?

A 1D crystal model using evenly spaced delta functions is a simplified representation of a crystal structure in one dimension. It involves using delta functions, which are mathematical functions that are zero everywhere except at one point, to represent the positions of atoms in a crystal lattice. By spacing these delta functions evenly, the model can simulate the periodic nature of a crystal lattice.

2. How does the 1D crystal model using evenly spaced delta functions work?

In this model, the positions of atoms in a crystal lattice are represented by delta functions. The spacing between these functions is determined by the lattice constant, which is the distance between adjacent atoms in the crystal. By summing these delta functions, the model can calculate the total energy of the crystal in terms of the positions and interactions between the atoms.

3. What are the advantages of using the 1D crystal model using evenly spaced delta functions?

One advantage of this model is its simplicity, making it easy to visualize and understand. It also allows for quick calculations of the total energy of the crystal, which can be useful in studying the properties and behavior of crystals. Furthermore, this model can easily be extended to higher dimensions by adding more delta functions.

4. What are the limitations of the 1D crystal model using evenly spaced delta functions?

While this model is useful in simulating the behavior of crystals in one dimension, it is a highly simplified representation and does not capture the full complexity of real crystals. It also assumes that the atoms are evenly spaced and do not interact with each other, which is not the case in reality. Therefore, this model should be used with caution and in conjunction with other models and experimental data.

5. What are some applications of the 1D crystal model using evenly spaced delta functions?

This model can be used in various fields of study, such as materials science, solid-state physics, and chemistry. It can help researchers understand the properties and behavior of different crystal structures, as well as predict and design new materials with specific properties. This model is also commonly used in computer simulations to study the behavior of crystals under different conditions.