Quadratic vector extrapolation

In summary, the conversation involves the speaker asking for help with extrapolating a vector from other vectors and discussing their initial solution and potential issues with it. The speaker also expresses frustration with the forum and their warning.
makc
Hi, I need to extrapolate vector [tex]v_{-1}[/tex] from [tex]v_{0}[/tex], [tex]v_{1}[/tex] and [tex]v_{2}[/tex] (see attached pic), so that if [tex]v_{2}[/tex] is on the right/left (2D case for simplicity) of [tex]v_{1}-v_{0}[/tex], [tex]v_{-1}[/tex] would also be on the right/left.

My initial solution was like this:
[tex]v_{2} - v_{1} = v_{1} - v_{0} + dv[/tex],
[tex]v_{1} - v_{0} = v_{0} - v_{-1} + dv[/tex],
and from there
[tex]v_{-1} = 3(v_{0} - v_{1}) + v_{2}[/tex].

This, however, produces ugly results when abs ([tex]v_{2} - v_{1}[/tex]) < abs ([tex]v_{1} - v_{0}[/tex]) - point [tex]v_{-1}[/tex] is placed very far from [tex]v_{0}[/tex]. So I need a better formula for this.

Any help?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 339
Physics news on Phys.org
okay, this forum is titled "physics and math help". so, once in a god knows how many month I post for help, and what do I receive? a warning? if this is how you intent to help, well... screw you and your warnings. you may ban me right away, I will get help at some other place :(

I would first suggest taking a step back and analyzing the problem at hand. What is the purpose of extrapolating vector v_{-1} from v_{0}, v_{1}, and v_{2}? Is there a specific application or scenario where this is needed? Understanding the context and purpose of the problem can often lead to a more effective solution.

With that being said, there are a few approaches you could take to improve upon your initial solution. One option could be to use a quadratic function to fit the three given vectors and then use that function to extrapolate v_{-1}. This would involve finding the coefficients of the quadratic function through a process such as least squares regression.

Another approach could be to use a weighted average of the three given vectors to calculate v_{-1}. This could help account for the scenario where v_{2} is far from v_{0} and v_{1}, as the weight of v_{2} in the calculation could be decreased. This approach would require determining appropriate weights for each vector, which could be based on factors such as the distance between the vectors or the confidence in their accuracy.

Ultimately, the best formula or method for extrapolating v_{-1} will depend on the specific circumstances and goals of your problem. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or expert in the field to discuss potential solutions and determine the most appropriate approach.

Related to Quadratic vector extrapolation

1. What is quadratic vector extrapolation?

Quadratic vector extrapolation is a mathematical technique used to predict the value of a vector at a future point in time based on past data. It is often used in physics and engineering to estimate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object.

2. How does quadratic vector extrapolation differ from linear extrapolation?

Linear extrapolation involves using a straight line to predict future data points, while quadratic vector extrapolation uses a parabolic curve. This allows for a more accurate prediction, especially when the data is non-linear.

3. What are the advantages of using quadratic vector extrapolation?

One advantage of quadratic vector extrapolation is that it can account for changes in the rate of change of the data, which linear extrapolation cannot. It also tends to be more accurate when the data is non-linear or when there is a lot of noise present.

4. What are the limitations of quadratic vector extrapolation?

Quadratic vector extrapolation can produce inaccurate results when the data is highly erratic or when there are large gaps in the data. It also assumes that the underlying trend of the data is parabolic, which may not always be the case.

5. How is quadratic vector extrapolation used in real-world applications?

Quadratic vector extrapolation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to make predictions about future trends and behavior. It can also be used in data analysis to fill in missing data points or to smooth out noisy data.