Quadratic Formula: Negative in root?

In summary, if the discriminant of a quadratic equation is negative, it means that the equation has no real-valued roots. However, imaginary or complex numbers can still be used in certain applications. If you have not encountered complex numbers before, it is possible that you have made an error in your calculations. In general, a complex number can be expressed as a combination of a real and imaginary number. If you encounter a negative discriminant in a quadratic equation that represents a physical situation, it is likely that you have made an error since the solution must be real. If you have not learned about complex numbers yet, it is still acceptable to say that there are no real roots and the polynomial cannot be factored over the real numbers.
CinderBlockFist
What do you do when Root(b^2-4ac) is negative? because you can't have a negative under a root right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the discriminant is negative then the quadratic equation has no real valued roots. However, in some applications defining the square root of a negative number is very useful. Such numbers are called "imaginary" or "complex" numbers. If you haven't learned about them yet then it's possible you made a numerical error (I am assuming this is from a school assignment).

The quadratic has no real roots, meaning that there are no real numbers that satisfy the equation ax2 + bx + c = 0. The roots are complex numbers. Have you encountered complex numbers before? In general, a complex number z can be expressed as a combination of a real and an imaginary number: z = a + bi, which makes sense because imaginary numbers are numbers that, when squared, yield a negative real number. They are multiples of the imaginary number i, which is defined as follows:

[tex] i = \sqrt{-1} [/tex]

However, if you have encountered your negative discriminant in a quadratic whose solution represents some physical situation, then you have made an error, because the solution must be real. (It is a "real" situation after all, "imaginary" numbers have no place.)

Edit: oops...that's exactly what Tide posted...I guess just while I was composing this :redface:

well i was trying to factor and find roots for x^2-2x+4=0, then i get a negative under the root.

Then you should get something like this if you factor over the complex numbers.

[tex]x^2 - 2x + 4 = \left(x - 1 + i \sqrt 3\right) \left(x - 1 - i \sqrt 3\right)[/tex]

If that doesn't mean anything to you then go back and be sure you are doing the right problem!

If you haven't seen complex numbers yet, your question could still be fine. Negative under the root just means there are no real roots and your polynomial cannot be factored (over the real numbers). Not every equation will have solutions, "no real roots" is an acceptible response.

It might be a good idea to see what it means in terms of the graph to have no real roots. To make this easier, you can complete the square [tex]x^2-2x+4=(x-1)^2+3[/tex] and see it's just a shift of the plain old [tex]x^2[/tex] graph.

Related to Quadratic Formula: Negative in root?

1. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical formula used to solve quadratic equations of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

2. What does it mean when the quadratic formula has a negative number in the square root?

When the quadratic formula has a negative number in the square root, it means that the equation has no real solutions. This is because the square root of a negative number is not a real number.

3. How do you simplify the quadratic formula when it has a negative number in the square root?

To simplify the quadratic formula with a negative number in the square root, you can use the imaginary unit, i, which represents √(-1). The simplified form of the quadratic formula would be x = (-b ± i√(4ac - b^2)) / 2a.

4. Can the quadratic formula produce complex solutions?

Yes, the quadratic formula can produce complex solutions when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is negative. This means that the solutions will involve the imaginary unit, i, and will not be real numbers.

5. How do you know when to use the quadratic formula with a negative number in the square root?

You would use the quadratic formula with a negative number in the square root when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is negative. This indicates that the equation has no real solutions and the solutions will involve the imaginary unit, i.