Displaying a Matrix-Vector Eq with LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter kimspg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, to display a matrix-vector equation using LaTeX, you can use the <code>\begin{equation}</code> and <code>\end{equation}</code> tags and the <code>\matrix</code> and <code>\vector</code> commands. You can change the size and alignment of the matrix and vector using <code>\left</code> and <code>\right</code> commands, and add labels or numbers using <code>\label</code> and <code>\tag</code> commands. Different types of brackets or parentheses can be used with <code>\left</code> and <code>\right</code> commands, and spacing between elements can be adjusted using <code>\hs
kimspg
A bit OT, I know, but there must be a way to get matrices to appear on the same line so I can write matrix-vector equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
matrices can usually be displayed with an array argument, plus some bracketing argument

Like this?

[tex]
\sigma_{3} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

- Warren

1. How do I display a matrix-vector equation using LaTeX?

To display a matrix-vector equation using LaTeX, you can use the \begin{equation} and \end{equation} tags. Within these tags, you can use the \matrix command to create the matrix and the \vector command to create the vector. You can also use the \cdot symbol for multiplication and the \pm symbol for plus-minus signs.

2. Can I change the size or alignment of the matrix and vector in the equation?

Yes, you can use the \left and \right commands to adjust the size of the matrix and vector. You can also use the & symbol to specify the alignment of elements within the matrix.

3. How can I add labels or numbers to the matrix and vector in the equation?

You can use the \label and \tag commands to add labels or numbers to the matrix and vector in the equation. These labels or numbers can then be referenced in other parts of your document.

4. Can I use different types of brackets or parentheses for the matrix and vector?

Yes, you can use the \left and \right commands to specify different types of brackets or parentheses for the matrix and vector. For example, you can use \left[ and \right] for square brackets or \left\{ and \right\} for curly braces.

5. Is there a way to adjust the spacing between elements in the matrix and vector?

Yes, you can use the \hspace and \vspace commands to adjust the horizontal and vertical spacing between elements in the matrix and vector. You can also use the \quad and \qquad commands to add specific amounts of space between elements.