Quadratic Equations: Homework on Non-Real Roots

In summary, the discriminants of both P(x) and Q(x) are negative, meaning that neither P(x) nor Q(x) can be positive for all real x. Therefore, the correct answer is d) exactly one of P(x) or Q(x) is positive for all real x.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Let a,b,c be real numbers with a>0 such that the quadratic equation ##ax^2+bcx+b^3+c^3-4abc=0## has non real roots. Let ##P(x)=ax^2+bx+c## and ##Q(x)=ax^2+cx+b##. Which of the following is true?
a) ##P(x)>0 \forall x \in R## and ##Q(x)<0 \forall x \in R##
b) ##P(x)<0 \forall x \in R## and ##Q(x)>0 \forall x \in R##
c) neither ##P(x)>0 \forall x \in R## nor ##Q(x)>0 \forall x \in R##
d) exactly one of P(x) or Q(x) is positive for all real x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first equation has non real roots which its discriminant is less than zero.
[tex]b^2c^2-4a(b^3+c^3-4abc<0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow b^2c^2-4ab^3-4ac^3+16a^2bc<0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow b^2(c^2-4ab)-4ac(c^2-4ab)<0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow (b^2-4ac)(c^2-4ab)<0[/tex]

##b^2-4ac## is the discriminant of P(x) and ##c^2-4ab## is the discriminant for Q(x) and both the discriminants are less than which means both P(x) and Q(x) are greater than zero for all ##x \in R##.

But there is no option which matches my conclusion.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Let a,b,c be real numbers with a>0 such that the quadratic equation ##ax^2+bcx+b^3+c^3-4abc=0## has non real roots. Let ##P(x)=ax^2+bx+c## and ##Q(x)=ax^2+cx+b##. Which of the following is true?
a) ##P(x)>0 \forall x \in R## and ##Q(x)<0 \forall x \in R##
b) ##P(x)<0 \forall x \in R## and ##Q(x)>0 \forall x \in R##
c) neither ##P(x)>0 \forall x \in R## nor ##Q(x)>0 \forall x \in R##
d) exactly one of P(x) or Q(x) is positive for all real x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first equation has non real roots which its discriminant is less than zero.
[tex]b^2c^2-4a(b^3+c^3-4abc<0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow b^2c^2-4ab^3-4ac^3+16a^2bc<0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow b^2(c^2-4ab)-4ac(c^2-4ab)<0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow (b^2-4ac)(c^2-4ab)<0[/tex]

##b^2-4ac## is the discriminant of P(x) and ##c^2-4ab## is the discriminant for Q(x) and both the discriminants are less than which means both P(x) and Q(x) are greater than zero for all ##x \in R##.
##(b^2-4ac)(c^2-4ab)<0## means that one of the discriminants is negative, and the other is positive.

jbunniii said:
##(b^2-4ac)(c^2-4ab)<0## means that one of the discriminants is negative, and the other is positive.

Oh yes, thanks! :smile:

This means that the answer is c?

Pranav-Arora said:
Oh yes, thanks! :smile:

This means that the answer is c?
If one of the discriminants is positive, that means the corresponding quadratic has real roots, right? So it can't be c.

jbunniii said:
If one of the discriminants is positive, that means the corresponding quadratic has real roots, right? So it can't be c.

Woops, I meant d, I switched the options in my mind. :redface:

Pranav-Arora said:
Woops, I meant d, I switched the options in my mind. :redface:
At least it wasn't an exam! :biggrin:

Related to Quadratic Equations: Homework on Non-Real Roots

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning that the highest exponent on the variable is 2. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. What are non-real roots?

Non-real roots, also known as imaginary roots, are solutions to a quadratic equation that involve the square root of a negative number. These solutions cannot be represented on a real number line and are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (i.e. the square root of -1).

3. How do you solve a quadratic equation with non-real roots?

To solve a quadratic equation with non-real roots, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Simply plug in the values for a, b, and c from the original equation and solve for x. The resulting solutions will be in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers.

4. Why is it important to understand non-real roots in quadratic equations?

Understanding non-real roots in quadratic equations is important because they can provide valuable information about the behavior of a system or function. For example, if a quadratic equation has no real roots, it means that the graph of the equation does not intersect the x-axis and therefore has no real solutions. This can indicate that the system or function described by the equation has no real-world solution.

5. Can a quadratic equation have only non-real roots?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have only non-real roots. This occurs when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is negative, meaning that the square root in the quadratic formula will be an imaginary number. In this case, the equation will have no real solutions and only non-real solutions in the form of a + bi.