Electromagnetic radial engine

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an electromagnetic radial piston engine, which would use short pulses of electricity instead of continuous draw for more efficient power. The engine design would be similar to a speaker drive system and would have a complex power conversion system. However, the efficiency of this type of engine is doubted compared to traditional electric motors. The conversation also touches on potential applications for this type of engine, such as in small-scale vehicles, and mentions that the inventor is interested in using it for space vehicles.
poopar
Is anyone interested in putting my electromagnetic radial piston engine theory to an educated stop?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's your electromagnetic radial piston engine theory ? :wink:

The piston/cylinder is almost exactly like a speaker drive system. The contacts at the top and bottom of the cylinder would have +/- leads which would complete the current for a strong, split secound burst of energy. This would be like conecting a speakers + to your spark plug wire and - to ground.
Obviously using a small coil from a speaker would give you a one time blast and a blown speaker. But using a larger winding capably of handling such a large burst of energy coupled to a much stronger fixed magnet should in theory create some controlable power.

The fact that this engine relies on spark plug type bursts
of energy instead of continuous draw is what makes this theory interesting. When your charging system dies in your car your engine runs longer then even your dome light.
To me meaning burst type electrical power is more efficient than constant draw.
I am starting to think maybe a cylinder much like a hydraulic ram design with two drive windings on either side with some kind of rack and pinion gear drive to turn side to side movement into rotation. Two free spin gears with the two pistons connected.
This type of design shouldn't be as rev limited as the crank system correct ?
When the pistons moved left, a tooth gear would drive one free spin gear and then when the pistons moved to the right they would drive another. Thus creating rotation.
But how would you fit such a gear drive into an 8" cylinder?
The caps on either end of the cylinder could take care of the flux and give the piston a slide guide.

Here's a simple diagram.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 601
congrats poopah you just invented the jig saw lol

Greetings !

Well, that's an interesting idea indeed, but I doudt
it'll be hard to find similar mechanisms - used for
a vehicle's propulsion (as yours is supposed to, I presume).
There are multiple patents for such things for various
purposes.

Basicly it's the same as the locking mechanism in
your car's doors. Of course, this one will have to
be much more massive. I'm not sure why you think that
short pulses will work better, but I suppose they'll
have to work for this thing to work as a vehicle engine.

I'm no expert. However, a couple of comments :
1. The use of such an EM engine would require a complex
power conversion system that would probably make the whole
thing too costly.
2. Vehicles today use chemical fuels - thus you would
still need the chemical engine to produce the power
and then loose a significant amount of it while converting
it to be used by your EM propulsion system. An awful
waste by all standards and in all aspects.

Sorry. :wink:

Peace and long life.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?SQID=80760&SPID=931&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the No or efficiency of a speaker (you can calculate it from the Thiele-Small parameters) and its typically under 1%. An electrical motor can reach 90% without much effort.

The engine running longer than a dome light? Not even on my 1971 Chevy. You still need to charge the coil through the points and resistance wire and a little 157 sized light bulb is going to win. Sorry.

A pulsed electrical discharge is already used for motor drives, its called PWM or Pulse Width Modulation. Each pulse is at full voltage but because of the inductance of the coils the average current is effectively controlled by the width of those pulses.

The linear electric motor like a speaker uses has its advantages, namely light weight. The light weight is important and is why its used in the first place since it needs to change directions very rapidly. Adding other mechanical devices to it hurts this very valuable quality and reduces efficiency further. When motor weight isn't as important like for subwoofers, look up the servo-drive technologies being used and you'll see rotational motors used to move diaphrams back and forth.

Your best bet for an application would be small-scale (like smaller than a RC car where the permanent magnet motor will be your competition) so you could take advantage of the light weight attributes.

Cliff

Interesting...but practical?

What's interesting is that some of these servo type drives magnetically float the piston so you could do away with a lot of friction, but then you negate those gains by converting the motion into rotation with a gear drive. Then you've got to constanly fight the momentum of these pistons going back and forth so you'll need a massive flywheel/harmonizing system, or many more cylinders = much friction, high weight, too many moving parts. Now, take your drive shaft into the vehicle, connect some magnets to it in a circle and use your short pulses as these magnets approach points around them. One moving part, low drag, short pulses, high torque. Now just figure out where your electricity is coming from and try to make that low weight.

Welcome to PF, Poopar. Your link didn't work for me.
Anyhow, it's nice to see that you actually put some serious thought into your idea instead of just posting some crackpot scheme with no science behind it as so many others have done.
I do, however, agree with the others that you'd be hard-pressed to get near the efficiency of a regular electric rotating motor with a reciprocal design. Keep up with the ideas though; you show promise.

I think it is very interesting, although i ve read it and do not test it can work or not. But Can you contact me ? because I am thinking about this kind of mechanism for space vehicles and I have some ideas to discuss.

im workin on a completely different concept. and i need to kno how an electromagnetic piston would work and the stats ,force ,volt, etc.. i need for it to compress air at about 10 psi.. assumin the piston sorface dia to be 3".. i want to kno wat would be the voltage reqired to do the work.. stroke of 3" as well. rough figures.. tnx

1. What is an electromagnetic radial engine?

An electromagnetic radial engine is a type of engine that uses electromagnetic forces to generate motion. It is composed of a series of radial magnets that rotate around a central shaft, creating a magnetic field that interacts with other components to produce rotational motion.

2. How does an electromagnetic radial engine work?

An electromagnetic radial engine works by using the principles of electromagnetism to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. As the magnets rotate, they create a changing magnetic field that induces an electric current in nearby conductors, causing them to move and generate motion.

3. What are the advantages of an electromagnetic radial engine?

Some advantages of an electromagnetic radial engine include high power-to-weight ratio, efficiency, and reliability. It also has the potential for greater control and precision in its operation compared to traditional engines.

4. What are the applications of an electromagnetic radial engine?

An electromagnetic radial engine can be used in a variety of applications, including transportation (such as in vehicles and aircraft), power generation, and industrial machinery. It is also being explored for use in renewable energy technologies.

5. What are the potential limitations of an electromagnetic radial engine?

Some potential limitations of an electromagnetic radial engine include the need for a power source (such as electricity) and the possibility of overheating and damage due to high speeds and friction. It also may not be suitable for all types of engines and applications.