Jesus Married: Did He Have an Offspring?

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
In summary: Jesus and Rebecca were married.In summary, Jesus married while on Earth and had offspring. Skeptics say no, but it makes sense that he would have married to sanctify this union between man and woman. Could be profound, if so.
timejim
I have heard very little discussion on this subject. Did Jesus marry while on Earth? If so, then where or who is his offspring? Skeptics say no, but doesn't it make sense that he would have married to sanctify this union between man and woman? I hope there is some good discussion wiyh regards to this subject. Could be profound, if so.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something to ponder,

5. REBECCA, THE DAUGHTER OF EZRA
127:5.1 Although Jesus was poor, his social standing in Nazareth was in no way impaired. He was one of the foremost young men of the city and very highly regarded by most of the young women. Since Jesus was such a splendid specimen of robust and intellectual manhood, and considering his reputation as a spiritual leader, it was not strange that Rebecca, the eldest daughter of Ezra, a wealthy merchant and trader of Nazareth, should discover that she was slowly falling in love with this son of Joseph. She first confided her affection to Miriam, Jesus' sister, and Miriam in turn talked all this over with her mother. Mary was intensely aroused. Was she about to lose her son, now become the indispensable head of the family? Would troubles never cease? What next could happen? And then she paused to contemplate what effect marriage would have upon Jesus' future career; not often, but at least sometimes, did she recall the fact that Jesus was a "child of promise." After she and Miriam had talked this matter over, they decided to make an effort to stop it before Jesus learned about it, by going direct to Rebecca, laying the whole story before her, and honestly telling her about their belief that Jesus was a son of destiny; that he was to become a great religious leader, perhaps the Messiah.
127:5.2 Rebecca listened intently; she was thrilled with the recital and more than ever determined to cast her lot with this man of her choice and to share his career of leadership. She argued (to herself) that such a man would all the more need a faithful and efficient wife. She interpreted Mary's efforts to dissuade her as a natural reaction to the dread of losing the head and sole support of her family; but knowing that her father approved of her attraction for the carpenter's son, she rightly reckoned that he would gladly supply the family with sufficient income fully to compensate for the loss of Jesus' earnings. When her father agreed to such a plan, Rebecca had further conferences with Mary and Miriam, and when she failed to win their support, she made bold to go directly to Jesus. This she did with the co-operation of her father, who invited Jesus to their home for the celebration of Rebecca's seventeenth birthday.

the outcome,

Jesus listened attentively and sympathetically to the recital of these things, first by the father, then by Rebecca herself. He made kindly reply to the effect that no amount of money could take the place of his obligation personally to rear his father's family, to "fulfill the most sacred of all human trusts -- loyalty to one's own flesh and blood." Rebecca's father was deeply touched by Jesus' words of family devotion and retired from the conference. His only remark to Mary, his wife, was: "We can't have him for a son; he is too noble for us."
127:5.4 Then began that eventful talk with Rebecca. Thus far in his life, Jesus had made little distinction in his association with boys and girls, with young men and young women. His mind had been altogether too much occupied with the pressing problems of practical earthly affairs and the intriguing contemplation of his eventual career "about his Father's business" ever to have given serious consideration to the consummation of personal love in human marriage. But now he was face to face with another of those problems which every average human being must confront and decide. Indeed was he "tested in all points like as you are."
127:5.5 After listening attentively, he sincerely thanked Rebecca for her expressed admiration, adding, "it shall cheer and comfort me all the days of my life." He explained that he was not free to enter into relations with any woman other than those of simple brotherly regard and pure friendship. He made it clear that his first and paramount duty was the rearing of his father's family, that he could not consider marriage until that was accomplished; and then he added: "If I am a son of destiny, I must not assume obligations of lifelong duration until such a time as my destiny shall be made manifest."
127:5.6 Rebecca was heartbroken. She refused to be comforted and importuned her father to leave Nazareth until he finally consented to move to Sepphoris. In after years, to the many men who sought her hand in marriage, Rebecca had but one answer. She lived for only one purpose -- to await the hour when this, to her, the greatest man who ever lived would begin his career as a teacher of living truth...

If Jesus did marry, it is believed that his bloodline is somewhere in France. Don't ask me why, I just heard it somewhere.

I have heard there are writings (additional gosphels) suppressed by the Catholic Church that say Jesus was married to Mary Magdeline. Apparently, that's what "The DaVinci Code" (fiction, loosely based on facts) is about. The movie "Stigmata" is also about suppressed scriptures.

Jesus in Japan

You haven't heard the Jesus in Japan legend? See the attached news story link. I read this about a year ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/japan010123_jesus.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by russ_watters
I have heard there are writings (additional gosphels) suppressed by the Catholic Church that say Jesus was married to Mary Magdeline. Apparently, that's what "The DaVinci Code" (fiction, loosely based on facts) is about. The movie "Stigmata" is also about suppressed scriptures.

russ is correct, i just finished reading The DaVinci code (excellent book!) and it outlines this suppossed theory of Jesus being married. It gives quite the realistic and "enlightening" perspective of what religion could be...

I think he did marry

Let me explain why I believe he did marry Mary Mag.

If only a handful of the factual data is true, then maybe he did.
It is very well possible the Vatican, who is so darn powerful and wealthy, could suppress this factual data. The Vatican Empire would have fallen a long time ago if the truth got out. But the powers at hand saw to it and supressed all of the truth.

This book is still spreading all over the world. Everyone's Faith will be tested. I feel like a fool for going along with what the Church has been teaching me. Why didn't I ever question it?

I am scared to question it. If I don;t believe, then no Heaven for me. That would suck!

Please respond to me or email me..kenestee@hotmail.com

See you folks

I think he did marry

please someone comment

We don't do religion here.

1) Did Jesus actually get married?

There is no concrete evidence or historical records to support the claim that Jesus was married. The Bible does not mention Jesus having a wife, and there are no accounts of a marriage in any other ancient texts.

2) Is there any proof that Jesus had children?

There is no historical evidence or credible sources that suggest Jesus had any offspring. The idea that Jesus had children comes from a controversial book called "The Da Vinci Code," which has been widely discredited by scholars.

3) Why is there a debate about whether Jesus was married?

The debate about Jesus' marital status is largely due to speculation and interpretation of biblical texts. Some people believe that Jesus must have been married since it was a common practice during his time, while others argue that his celibacy was a deliberate choice to fulfill his mission as the Son of God.

4) What do religious scholars say about Jesus' marriage?

Most Christian scholars and theologians agree that Jesus was not married. They base their belief on the lack of evidence in the Bible and the fact that celibacy was a common practice among spiritual leaders at the time.

5) Does it matter if Jesus was married or had children?

The belief in Jesus' divinity and his teachings are the most important aspects of Christianity. Whether or not he was married or had children does not affect his role as the central figure in the religion. Therefore, it is not a significant factor in the faith or its teachings.