Why Do Inconvenient Things Always Happen at the Worst Times?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about various frustrating and ironic situations, including spilling coffee, running out of ink, forgetting a wallet, and nearly hitting a parked car while putting on a seatbelt. The conversation also touches on the annoyance of someone parking next to you in an otherwise empty parking lot.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I spill my coffee while reaching for my coffee to move it so that it won't get spilled.

When my printer or fax runs out of ink on page 9 of 10. Of course, this always happens when I need the print in the next five minutes and I'm out of new cartridges.

When I don't notice the empty TP roll until you know when! :devil:

When I drive into to town [15 minutes each way] at 12 AM, for Nyquil or something that I really have to have, and I forget my wallet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Me nuh like dat eethah !

When I drive into to town [15 minutes each way] at 12 AM, for Nyquil or something that I really have to have, and I forget my wallet.
It’s doubly frustrating when you forget what you came into town for in the first place!

Ivan Seeking said:
When I spill my coffee while reaching for my coffee to move it so that it won't get spilled.
This is poignantly ironic.
Speaking of forgotten wallets, the one and only time I was ever pulled over was the one and only time I have ever not had my liscense with me. Cops can smell this more sensitively than sharks smell blood. I hate it when that happens.

zoobyshoe said:
This is poignantly ironic..

Likewise, once I nearly hit a parked car because I was putting on my seatbelt while I was driving.

Both accounts are memorable I thought. :rofl:

BoulderHead said:
It’s doubly frustrating when you forget what you came into town for in the first place!

I'm sorry...what were we talking about?

how about those dodgers? :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Likewise, once I nearly hit a parked car because I was putting on my seatbelt while I was driving.

Both accounts are memorable I thought. :rofl:
No, the second one is not poignantly ironic because you didn't actually hit the parked car. The best I can do for you is "poignantly awkward."

I hate it when you park in an almost completely empty car park, and them some loser comes and parks right next to you.

What does the phrase "I hate it when that happens" mean?

The phrase "I hate it when that happens" is a common expression used to convey frustration or annoyance when something goes wrong or does not turn out as expected.

Why do people say "I hate it when that happens"?

People say "I hate it when that happens" to express their emotions and reactions to a frustrating or undesirable situation. It is a way to vent their feelings and share their experiences with others who can relate.

Is "I hate it when that happens" just a figure of speech?

Yes, "I hate it when that happens" is considered a figure of speech because it is not meant to be taken literally. It is used to emphasize one's feelings towards a situation, rather than to convey a literal interpretation.

Can "I hate it when that happens" be used in a positive context?

While the phrase is commonly used to express negative emotions, it can also be used in a positive context. For example, someone may say "I hate it when that happens" in a joking manner to downplay a small inconvenience or mistake.

Are there any alternative phrases to "I hate it when that happens"?

Yes, there are several alternative phrases that convey a similar meaning, such as "that's so annoying," "that's frustrating," or "that's the worst." The specific phrase used may vary depending on the situation and the individual's personal style of expression.