QM - Transmission coefficient for square well

In summary, the problem involves a steady stream of 5 eV electrons hitting a square well with a depth of 10 eV and a width of 7.65 * 10^-11 m. The equation for the transmission coefficient, T, is given and using assigned values, a value of 1.52i is calculated for κ^2. However, after plugging in the values for T, a numerical answer of 0.75 is obtained, which is different from the expected 0.388. The error was found to be a mistake in copying down an identity.
DeltaFunction

Homework Statement

A steady stream of 5 eV electrons impinges on a square well of depth 10 eV. The width of the well is 7.65 * 10^-11 m. What fraction of electrons are transmitted?

Homework Equations

The following equation for the transmission coefficient, T, is given:
[tex] T = [1 + \frac{V_0 ^2 sinh^2 κa}{4E(V_0 - E)}]^-1[/tex] (**that is meant to be ^-1 for the whole bracket - apologies, this is my first time using LaTex**)
Where [tex] κ^2 = \frac{8mπ^2}{h^2}(V_0 - E)[/tex]

We are also provided with a not-so-subtle hint that [tex] sinh~iθ = i~sinh~θ [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have assigned the following values based on the information:

a = 7.65 * 10^-11 m
E = 5 eV
V = - 10 eV
m = 9.11 * 10^-31 kg

It then seems like it should be very straightforward. I calculate ka and found this to be 1.52i. Then using the definition of sinh I calculate [itex] sinh^2 κa = -4.73[/itex].
Plugging the other values in I arrive at [tex] T = 0.388 [/tex] which seemed reasonable to me, but... The postgrad who marked my work fed back to me that the numerical answer he had was T = 0.75.
I'd be really grateful if someone can check the calculation for me, because it's really bugging me that I can't see my error.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The h in the denominator for κ2 should be h2, I guess.

I can confirm 1.52i, but if I put this in the final formula I get 0.75.
Well, WolframAlpha does.

Thank you, yes it should be h^2, I've now corrected that. I guess I'll go through the figures again carefully :/

I've realized my stupid mistake. I copied down the identity incorrectly. A moments thought and I would have seen that [tex] sinh~iθ = i~sinh~θ [/tex] is nonsense :rolleyes: embarrassing

Your calculations look correct to me. I also got T = 0.388 using the given values. It is possible that the postgrad made a mistake in their calculation. I would suggest double-checking with your professor or another classmate to make sure. It is always good to have a second set of eyes on a problem like this.

Related to QM - Transmission coefficient for square well

What is QM - Transmission coefficient for square well?

The QM - Transmission coefficient for square well is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the probability of a particle passing through a potential barrier or well. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

How is the QM - Transmission coefficient for square well calculated?

The QM - Transmission coefficient for square well is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the energy of the particle, the shape of the potential barrier or well, and the particle's wave function. The resulting value represents the probability of the particle passing through the barrier or well.

What factors affect the QM - Transmission coefficient for square well?

The QM - Transmission coefficient for square well is affected by various factors, including the energy of the particle, the width and height of the potential barrier or well, and the shape of the barrier or well. It is also influenced by the mass and charge of the particle, as well as any external forces present.

What are some real-world applications of the QM - Transmission coefficient for square well?

The QM - Transmission coefficient for square well has various applications in physics and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in quantum tunneling, electronic transport in semiconductors, and nuclear reactions. It also has applications in the design of electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes.

How does the QM - Transmission coefficient for square well relate to other quantum mechanical concepts?

The QM - Transmission coefficient for square well is closely related to other quantum mechanical concepts, such as wave-particle duality, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and the probability density function. It also ties into the broader understanding of quantum mechanics, including the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.