QM: Particle momentum probabilty

In summary: In order to calculate the probability of a specific momentum, you need to find the wavefunction in momentum space, \psi(p). There's a simple expression for the probability of measuring a momentum in the range between p and p+dp in terms of \psi(p).Thanks I think I'm on the right track now. So I've done the Fourier transform to get into momentum space and I'm left with this:\psi(p)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\Psi(x,t=0)e^{\tfrac{-ipx}{\hbar}} dx
Campbe11

Homework Statement

A free particle at time t=0 has the Gaussian wave-packet:

[tex]\Psi(x,t=0)=Ae^{-\tfrac{x^2}{2\sigma^2}}e^{ik_0x}[/tex]

(a) What is A?
(b) What is the probability of measuring a momentum in the range between p
and p+dp?

Homework Equations

(a) [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}|\Psi(x,t)}|^2 dx=1[/tex]

(b) [tex]\langle p\rangle=-ih\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\left(\Psi^\ast\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}\right)^2 dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think this is correct for A.
[tex]A=\frac{\sigma^2}{2\pi}[/tex]

(b) This is where I'm having trouble. I tried evaluating this integral but it seems wrong:

[tex]\langle p\rangle=-ih\int^{p+dp}_{p}\left(\Psi^\ast\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}\right)^2 dx[/tex]

where
[tex]\Psi=\frac{\sigma^2}{2\pi}e^{-\tfrac{x^2}{2\sigma^2}}e^{ik_0x}[/tex]

Please help I have a question similar to this on an exam this Monday!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\langle p\rangle=-ih\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\left(\Psi^\ast\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}\right) dx[/tex]

is the most likely value of the momentum that would be found in a measurement. In order to determine the probability of a specific value of momentum, you need to find the wavefunction in momentum space, [tex]\psi(p)[/tex]. There's a simple expression for the probability of measuring a momentum in the range between p and p+dp in terms of [tex]\psi(p)[/tex].

Thanks I think I'm on the right track now. So I've done the Fourier transform to get into momentum space and I'm left with this:

[tex]\psi(p)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\Psi(x,t=0)e^{\tfrac{-ipx}{\hbar}} dx[/tex]

But (I think) that reduces to:

[tex]\psi(p)=\frac{\sigma^3}{2\sqrt{\hbar}}[/tex]

Which doesn't make sense to me since I think we need to use

[tex]P=\int^{p+dp}_{p}|\psi(p)|^2dp[/tex]

to get the result and if I plug what I got in I just get

[tex]\frac{\sigma^6dp}{4\hbar}[/tex]

which is def wrong. What am I doing wrong? Plz help!

Calculate carefully the Fourier transform. You have a Gaussian wave packet, and Gaussian wave packets have a peculiar property that they are Gaussian in momentum space as well.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Let me try to provide a response to the content you have provided.

(a) A is the normalization constant, which ensures that the wave function is properly normalized to 1. Therefore, we can calculate A using the normalization condition:

\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}|\Psi(x,t=0)|^2 dx=1

Substituting the given wave function, we get:

A^2 \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-\tfrac{x^2}{\sigma^2}}dx=1

This integral can be evaluated using the Gaussian integral formula, which gives:

A^2\sqrt{\pi}\sigma=1

Therefore, the value of A is:

A=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sqrt{\pi}\sigma}}

(b) The probability of measuring a momentum in the range between p and p+dp is given by the expression:

P=\int^{p+dp}_{p}|\Psi(p,t)|^2 dp

where \Psi(p,t) is the momentum representation of the wave function, given by:

\Psi(p,t)=\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\Psi(x,t)e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx

Substituting the given wave function, we get:

\Psi(p,t)=\frac{A}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-\tfrac{(x-ip\sigma^2/\hbar)^2}{2\sigma^2}}dx

This integral can be evaluated using the Gaussian integral formula, which gives:

\Psi(p,t)=Ae^{-\tfrac{p^2\sigma^2}{2\hbar^2}}

Therefore, the probability of measuring a momentum in the range between p and p+dp is:

P=\int^{p+dp}_{p}|\Psi(p,t)|^2 dp=A^2\int^{p+dp}_{p}e^{-\tfrac{p^2\sigma^2}{\hbar^2}}dp

Substituting the value of A from part (a), we get:

P=\frac{\sigma^2}{\pi}\int^{p+dp}_{p}e^{-\tfrac{p^2\sigma^2}{\hbar^2}}dp

This integral can be evaluated using

Related to QM: Particle momentum probabilty

What is QM: Particle momentum probability?

QM: Particle momentum probability refers to the branch of quantum mechanics that deals with the probability of a particle having a certain momentum. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

How is momentum related to probability in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the momentum of a particle is described by its wave function, which is a mathematical representation of the particle's behavior. The square of the wave function gives the probability of finding the particle at a certain momentum.

What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and how does it relate to particle momentum probability?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less we know about its position, and vice versa. This relates to particle momentum probability because the uncertainty in momentum is directly related to the uncertainty in position, and therefore affects the probability of finding the particle at a certain momentum.

What is the difference between classical and quantum mechanics when it comes to particle momentum probability?

In classical mechanics, the momentum of a particle is considered a well-defined quantity that can be measured precisely. In contrast, in quantum mechanics, the momentum of a particle is described by a probability distribution, rather than a single, well-defined value. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the behavior of particles cannot be predicted with certainty.

How is particle momentum probability experimentally measured in quantum mechanics?

Particle momentum probability can be measured using a variety of experimental techniques, such as scattering experiments or electron diffraction. These experiments involve measuring the position and momentum of particles and analyzing the resulting data to determine the probability of a particle having a certain momentum. This allows scientists to test and validate the predictions of quantum mechanics.