QM: Neutrino Polarization - Oscillation & Mass Polarization

In summary, neutrinos have left-handed polarization, which is a result of their intrinsic spin. Other particles with mass can also exhibit polarization, including left-handed, right-handed, and longitudinal states. Massless particles like photons only have left-handed and right-handed states, which correspond to circular polarization. The reason for this is related to Lorentz invariance, which can be seen in Townsend's QM book on page 87.
wotanub
I was reading in my QM book that neutrinos are "essentially left handedly polarized." (Townsend on Page 119)

If neutrinos can be polarized, what is oscillating? Do other particles with mass exhibit polarization?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. You don't need oscillation to get polarization. Particles can have intrinsic angular momentum, called spin.

I'm not sure I understand completely.

What's the connection between spin of a photon and the polarization of the E field? Photons are spin 1 (3 eigenstates) and E polarization is a two state problem. I can't think of an obvious correspondence.

Massive spin-1 particles have left-handed, right-handed and longitudinal polarization states. Massless ones like photons have only the left-handed and right-handed states, which are the two varieties of circular polarization.

Is there a good reason spin-0 states are forbidden for massless particles? What's the underlying principle?

maybe because without mass they need something to keep them existing?

Related to QM: Neutrino Polarization - Oscillation & Mass Polarization

1. What is the neutrino polarization?

The neutrino polarization refers to the direction in which the neutrino's spin is oriented. This can either be in the same direction as its momentum (right-handed polarization) or in the opposite direction (left-handed polarization).

2. What is neutrino oscillation?

Neutrino oscillation is a phenomenon in which a neutrino changes from one type (flavor) to another as it travels through space. This is possible because neutrinos have mass, and their different flavors are actually different combinations of three mass states.

3. How does neutrino polarization affect oscillation?

Neutrino polarization does not directly affect oscillation. However, it can affect the probability of a neutrino changing its flavor during oscillation. This is because the polarization determines the initial state of the neutrino, which can impact its likelihood of changing to a different flavor.

4. What is the role of mass polarization in neutrino oscillation?

Mass polarization is the difference in polarization between the three mass states of neutrinos. This can play a role in neutrino oscillation because it can influence the relative probabilities of each mass state changing to a different flavor as the neutrino travels through space.

5. How do scientists study neutrino polarization and oscillation?

Scientists study neutrino polarization and oscillation through experiments such as particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and neutrino detectors. They measure the properties of neutrinos, such as their energies and flavors, as well as their interactions with matter in order to better understand these phenomena.