QM: changing basis of quantum states

In summary, the conversation discusses expressing a given wavefunction in different bases and using Fourier transformations to verify certain relationships. The participants work through problems and clarify steps to reach the solutions. They also discuss the consistency between different parts of the problem and the effects of certain operators on the wavefunction.
doublemint
Hello,

I am trying to express a given wavefunction through different basis, momentum and position. Look at 5.2(b) and (c) through the link: http://qis.ucalgary.ca/quantech/443/2011/homework_five.pdf"

I complete part (b) by doing the following:
[tex]\int\left\langle{x}\left|e^{\frac{-i\hat{p}a}{h}}\left|{x'}\right\rangle\left\langle{x'}\left|\psi\right\rangle dx' = \psi(x+a)[/tex]
If I did part (b) correctly, then for part (c), I did the same thing to find the state in the momentum basis:
[tex]\int\left\langle{p}\left|e^{\frac{-i\hat{p}a}{h}}\left|{p'}\right\rangle\left\langle{p'}\left|\psi\right\rangle dp' = \int e^{\frac{-ip'a}{h}}\psi(p')dp'[/tex]
Now I do not know where to go..and I do not know if i did the right steps.
So if anyone can help, that would be great!
Thank You
Doublemint

Edit:
I have looked at 5.3(b) and the integration is horrible...
Given that: [tex]\tilde{\psi}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int\psi(x)e^{\frac{-ipx}{\hbar}}dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int Axe^{\frac{-k^{2}x^{2}}{2}}e^{\frac{-ipx}{\hbar}}dx[/tex]. Any one got ideas on this one as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the link you gave doesn't work. I can't help you anyway, I'm just curious :P

thanks Telemachus, Ill get that fixed.

doublemint said:
I did the same thing to find the state in the momentum basis:
[tex]\int\langle p |e^{\frac{-i\hat{p}a}{h}} |p'\rangle \langle p'|\psi \rangle dp' = \int e^{\frac{-ip'a}{h}}\psi(p')dp'[/tex]
You made a mistake here. You need to use:

[tex]
\langle p |e^{\frac{-i\hat{p}a}{h}} |p'\rangle = e^{\frac{-i p' a}{\hbar}} \langle p | p' \rangle = e^{\frac{-i p' a}{\hbar}} \delta(p - p')
[/tex]

Hey matonski,
So you are saying it should be like this?
[tex]\int e^{\frac{-ip'a}{\hbar}}\delta(p-p')\psi(p')dp' = e^{\frac{-ipa}{\hbar}}\psi(p)[/tex]
Okay, so then how do I use the Fourier Transformations to verify part (b)?

Last edited:
The problem wants to you to take the explicit expressions you have for the wave functions [tex]\tilde{\psi}(p)[/tex] and [tex]\tilde{\psi}'(p)[/tex] and Fourier transform them to find their representation in the position basis. In the position basis, those two wave functions should have the relationship you figured out in part (b).

doublemint said:
Edit:
I have looked at 5.3(b) and the integration is horrible...
Given that: [tex]\tilde{\psi}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int\psi(x)e^{\frac{-ipx}{\hbar}}dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int Axe^{\frac{-k^{2}x^{2}}{2}}e^{\frac{-ipx}{\hbar}}dx[/tex]. Any one got ideas on this one as well?
Complete the square in the exponent.

Alright I figured out 5.3. Now for 5.2..
okay so for [tex]\tilde{\psi}(p) = Ae^{\frac{-b^{2}p^{2}}{2}[/tex]
i would sub it into:
[tex]\psi(x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int\tilde{\psi}(p) e^{\frac{-ipx}{\hbar}}dp = \frac{Ae^{\frac{-1x^{2}}{2b^{2}\hbar^{2}}}}{ib\sqrt{\hbar}}[/tex]
So far so good?
Then to find the momentum basis of [tex]\left|\psi'\right\rangle = e^{\frac{-i\hat{p}a}{\hbar}\left|\psi\right\rangle[/tex]
I would just do what I did before which was
[tex]\int e^{\frac{-ip'a}{\hbar}}\delta(p-p')\psi(p')dp' = e^{\frac{-ipa}{\hbar}}\psi(p)[/tex]
But I do not see the consistency compared to 5.2(b)..

Last edited:
doublemint said:
I would just do what I did before which was
But I do not see the consistency compared to 5.2(b)..
You have

[tex]\tilde{\psi}'(p) = \langle p \vert \psi' \rangle = e^{-ipa/\hbar}\tilde{\psi}(p) = e^{-ipa/\hbar}Ae^{-b^2p^2/2}[/tex]

Now take its Fourier transform to find the wave function [itex]\psi'(x)[/itex] for the state [itex]\vert \psi' \rangle[/itex] in the position basis.

What does 5.2(b) say about how [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] and [itex]\psi'(x)[/itex] should be related?

vela said:
You have

[tex]\tilde{\psi}'(p) = \langle p \vert \psi' \rangle = e^{-ipa/\hbar}\tilde{\psi}(p) = e^{-ipa/\hbar}Ae^{-b^2p^2/2}[/tex]

Now take its Fourier transform to find the wave function [itex]\psi'(x)[/itex] for the state [itex]\vert \psi' \rangle[/itex] in the position basis.

What does 5.2(b) say about how [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] and [itex]\psi'(x)[/itex] should be related?

[tex]\tilde{\psi}'(x) = \frac{Ae^{\frac{-1(a+x)^{2}}{2b^{2}\hbar}}}{b\sqrt{\hbar}}[/tex]
So 5.2(b) should be describing a shift between [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] and [itex]\psi'(x)[/itex], right?

Right. That's what 5.2(b) showed. The effect of the operator [itex]\exp(-i\hat{p}a/\hbar)[/itex] was to shift the state by a to the left. So when you took the two momentum-space wave functions and Fourier-transformed them back to the position basis, you should find that one is the shifted version of the other if everything is consistent.

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks a lot vela!

Related to QM: changing basis of quantum states

1. What is the basis of a quantum state?

The basis of a quantum state refers to a set of mathematical functions that describe the state of a quantum system. These functions, known as basis states, are used to represent the possible outcomes of a measurement on the system. They form a complete set, meaning that any other quantum state can be described as a linear combination of these basis states.

2. How can the basis of a quantum state be changed?

The basis of a quantum state can be changed through a mathematical operation called a basis transformation. This involves applying a unitary operator to the state, which rotates it in a way that preserves its inner workings and probabilities. This allows for a different set of basis states to be used to describe the system, providing a new perspective and potentially simplifying calculations.

3. What are some practical applications of changing the basis of quantum states?

Changing the basis of quantum states is essential for understanding and manipulating quantum systems, and has many practical applications. For example, it is used in quantum computing to perform calculations more efficiently, in quantum cryptography to enhance security, and in quantum simulations to model complex systems. It also plays a crucial role in quantum teleportation and quantum error correction.

4. Can the basis of a quantum state be changed at will?

Yes, the basis of a quantum state can be changed at will using a basis transformation. However, the transformation must be carefully chosen to ensure that the physical properties of the system are not affected. In quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle dictates that certain properties cannot be known simultaneously with absolute precision, so a basis transformation cannot change these properties without introducing uncertainty.

5. How is changing the basis of quantum states related to the concept of superposition?

The ability to change the basis of quantum states is closely related to the concept of superposition, which is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. Superposition refers to the ability of a quantum system to exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is measured. By changing the basis of a quantum state, we can manipulate the superposition and change the probabilities of different measurement outcomes, allowing for more control over quantum systems.