QKD Question: Alice & Bob Detector Cross-Checking

• I
  • Thread starter Madi Araly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detector
In summary, the way quantum key distribution works is that Alice sends a stream of entangled photons to Bob, and Bob measures them and creates a binary code. Once he has finished, he tells Alice which detector he used for each photon. Alice then uses this information to perform information reconciliation and privacy amplification, and eventually they have a smaller, but still secret, key.
Madi Araly
Hello,

I've been learning about Quantum Key Distribution recently, but I can't seem to find the logic in one of the steps... maybe I'm just having a brain block. o_O

So let's say Alice has sent a stream of entangled photons to Bob, and he finishes measuring them and is left with a binary code. All of the lessons I've watched tell me that Alice will tell him "right" or "wrong" once he states which detector he used for each one, but where is this communication supposed to take place?

It doesn't occur in the same system through which the photons were sent, but I don't see how they could do this over any system that Eve could not access. They could meet in person, but arrangements like this would be too impractical in almost all cases. Any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the thing. Eve does have access to Bob's message to Alice about what basis he measured in for each pair of photons, but that info doesn't help her learn about Alice and Bob's secret key.

The way I understand it is that Bob tells Alice what basis he measured in after he measures his photon. If Eve intercepted the photon en route to Bob, she has a 50/50 chance of measuring in the same basis that Bob chooses.

When Bob and Alice have finished their measurements, they can take a random subset of them, and actually compare outcomes publically. These bits won't be used for the secret key, but can be used to test the security of the quantum channel. If Eve were intercepting photons, measuring them, and sending them on their way, then instead of having nearly 100 percent correlation when Alice and Bob measure in the same basis, the correlation will be much lower. If their measured correlation is high enough, they know with high probability that Eve couldn't be listening in, and they key they share is secure.

After that, Alice and Bob's keys are not necessarily identical, due to experimental noise and such, but they can perform information reconciliation to get a smaller identical key, and privacy amplification to get an even smaller secret key about which Eve can know nothing (in the sense that Eve would be equally likely to guess all possible keys with her info).

Last edited:
jfizzix said:
That's the thing. Eve does have access to Bob's message to Alice about what basis he measured in for each pair of photons, but that info doesn't help her learn about Alice and Bob's secret key.

The way I understand it is that Bob tells Alice what basis he measured in after he measures his photon. If Eve intercepted the photon en route to Bob, she has a 50/50 chance of measuring in the same basis that Bob chooses.

When Bob and Alice have finished their measurements, they can take a random subset of them, and actually compare outcomes publically. These bits won't be used for the secret key, but can be used to test the security of the quantum channel. If Eve were intercepting photons, measuring them, and sending them on their way, then instead of having nearly 100 percent correlation when Alice and Bob measure in the same basis, the correlation will be much lower. If their measured correlation is high enough, they know with high probability that Eve couldn't be listening in, and they key they share is secure.

After that, Alice and Bob's keys are not necessarily identical, due to experimental noise and such, but they can perform information reconciliation to get a smaller identical key, and privacy amplification to get an even smaller secret key about which Eve can know nothing (in the sense that Eve would be equally likely to guess all possible keys with her info).

Ahh, I get it now. You managed to explain it in a better way than many of the lectures, so hats off to you. Thanks for your help!

Related to QKD Question: Alice & Bob Detector Cross-Checking

What is QKD?

Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) is a method of secure communication using quantum mechanics. It allows two parties, usually referred to as Alice and Bob, to exchange secret cryptographic keys over a public channel without the risk of interception.

How does QKD work?

QKD works by using the principles of quantum mechanics to create and exchange a random sequence of bits, known as a key, between Alice and Bob. This key can then be used to encrypt and decrypt messages, ensuring secure communication.

What is cross-checking in QKD?

Cross-checking in QKD refers to the process of comparing the results of the measurements made by Alice and Bob's detectors to ensure that they have received the same encoded message. This step is crucial in detecting any potential eavesdropping attempts.

Why is cross-checking important in QKD?

Cross-checking is important in QKD because it allows Alice and Bob to detect any potential eavesdropping attempts. If the results of their measurements do not match, it indicates that the message has been intercepted and the key may have been compromised. This allows them to abort the communication and start over with a new key.

What are the challenges of implementing cross-checking in QKD?

One of the main challenges of implementing cross-checking in QKD is the need for precise synchronization between Alice and Bob's detectors. Any discrepancies in timing can lead to errors in the measurements and compromise the security of the key. Additionally, cross-checking can also introduce additional overhead and slow down the communication process.