QFT Textbook Recommendations and Discussion

• Thread starter vanesch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, Patrick says that the books P and S and Zee's text complement each other well. He recommends Zee's book as a first reading, and agrees that PS and Z are complementary. He also recommends 2nd chapter of Weinberg's first volume as an introduction to RQM. Finally, he advises against reading Greiner's series.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello all,

I'm reading through this book now and I'd like to know if there are other people who are also doing so, have read it or are planning to read it in order to have a discussion about it.
In fact, I've read before about the first half (a bit more) of Peskin and Schroeder and I think that Zee gives a lot more insight, but probably only because I already went through P&S. Do you think that the approach of Zee is intelligible on a first contact ?

cheers,
patrick.

Physics news on Phys.org
They complement one another well - they each have what the other lacks. Another book I am reading is Kaku's book on field theory - it has a very strong group theory flavor, and again is strong in what P and S, and A. Z's books lack.

What exactly are the prerequisites for any course in QFT? And is Zee's text the best as an introductory text? Do you have to study relativistic QM in advance? and what is a good book about that subject to read at first?

da_willem said:
What exactly are the prerequisites for any course in QFT?
Several lifes to study math I guess :wink:
You might prefer to learn the new math whenever you encounter it. The problem is that group theory is a rather long way. See Georgi's "Lie Algebras in particle physics" (FIP). You would also need a serious background in Hilbertean analysis. Topology is welcome when it comes to nonperturbative stuff... :cry: But math are so beautiful, they are woth by themselves :biggrin:

da_willem said:
And is Zee's text the best as an introductory text? Do you have to study relativistic QM in advance? and what is a good book about that subject to read at first ?
I would advise Zee's book as a first reading. And I really agree with the fact that PS and Z are complementary. PS is far more technical. Z goes straight to the point, sometime hiding difficulties.

For an introduction to RQM, see 2nd chapter of Weinberg's fisrt volume. (maybe : by also Wainberg's 3-volumes book. :rolleyes: )

Another subject on which I would like to have people's opinion : would you advise student to avoid Greiner's series ? I should have I guess :-p

I have the book, but it's still too advanced for me

humanino said:
Another subject on which I would like to have people's opinion : would you advise student to avoid Greiner's series ? I should have I guess :-p

I have the series for years now on my bookshelf, and never got beyond the second volume, god is that boring ! The advantage of Greiner is that you calculate yourself to death :zzz:
So I can't judge for the other volumes (relativistic qm, qed, electroweak and qcd) which I have there, unopened. If they are in the same flavor they are boring, uninsightful, but on the other hand, they really help you through each calculation in meticulous detail. Maybe it is a good thing to browse through if you want to sharpen your calculational skills, after having learned the subject somewhere else.

cheers,
patrick.

Related to QFT Textbook Recommendations and Discussion

1. What is QFT in a nutshell?

QFT (Quantum Field Theory) is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe how particles and fields interact with each other.

2. Who is A. Zee and why is his book important for understanding QFT?

A. Zee is a physicist and author who has written extensively on theoretical physics. His book "QFT in a Nutshell" is important for understanding QFT because it provides a concise and accessible introduction to the subject.

3. What are the main concepts of QFT?

The main concepts of QFT include quantization of fields, renormalization, and the use of Feynman diagrams to calculate particle interactions.

4. How is QFT applied in the real world?

QFT has been successfully applied in many areas of physics, from particle physics to condensed matter physics. It is also used in various technologies, such as the development of quantum computers.

5. Is QFT still a relevant and important theory in modern physics?

Yes, QFT is still considered one of the most fundamental and successful theories in modern physics. It has been tested and validated through numerous experiments and continues to be a key tool for understanding the behavior of matter at the smallest scales.