QFT: Questions About Vector Field, Polarization Vectors & Space

• Thread starter alanzhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, the conversation discusses the abstract and complex nature of QFT, particularly the concept of vector fields and why there are four polarization vectors. The postulates and assumptions of the theory are also mentioned as sources of confusion. The conversation also suggests studying classical mechanics and fields before delving into QFT, with recommendations for textbooks. The acronym QFT is explained to stand for Quantum Field Theory.
alanzhu
Hello everyone, I am now learning QFT, this theory is really abstract and daunting. I can't understand the concept of vector field. What is vector field at last? why there are four polarization vectors? I feel that the whole theory is somewhat lack of reasoning, the postulates and assumptions really confuse me. Could someone explain why there are 3 kinds of space and what is the most distinct difference between them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain what three kinds of space, please?

A vector field is a phenomenon that is characterised by a magnitude and a direction at each point of space - for example the gravity field near the Earth has an acceleration (a vector with magnitude and direction) at every point, and different values at different points. No?

I suspect it also necessary for you to realize that there is a lot of classical field theory in QFT. Vector fields are a perfectly classical notion. Electric and magnetic fields are examples. In relativistic field theories, you get 4-vectors (this tells you how they transform under Lorentz transformations). I suggest you start by reviewing classical mechanics (Goldstein), then move to classical fields (Jackson on electrodynamics); then, only then, pass to something like Peskin and Schroeder or Bjorken and Drell (QFT).

...and before those QFT texts, you also need to study a nonrelativistic QM book. Sakurai is the classic one.

I could not agree more! Sakurai is a text all physicists should read. The best on QM.

What is QFT an acronym for? Quantum...?

Qft

Quantum Field Theory. The quantised theory of fields.

Related to QFT: Questions About Vector Field, Polarization Vectors & Space

1. What is a vector field in quantum field theory?

A vector field in quantum field theory is a mathematical construct that describes the behavior of physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force or velocity. In QFT, these vector fields are represented by operators that act on the quantum state of a particle, allowing for the prediction of particle interactions and behaviors.

2. How are polarization vectors used in quantum field theory?

Polarization vectors are used in QFT to describe the spin of particles. In quantum mechanics, particles can have both a wave-like nature and a particle-like nature, and the spin of a particle is related to its wave-like nature. Polarization vectors are used to represent the different possible spin states of a particle, allowing for the calculation of probabilities for different spin values.

3. What is the role of space in quantum field theory?

In QFT, space is treated as a background on which the quantum fields exist and interact. The concept of space-time is crucial in QFT as it provides the framework for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions. The fields themselves are defined as functions of space and time, allowing for the prediction of particle behaviors in different regions of space and at different times.

4. How does quantum field theory differ from classical field theory?

Classical field theory describes the behavior of fields in a classical (non-quantum) framework, where the fields are continuous and can take on any value. In contrast, quantum field theory takes into account the quantized nature of particles and fields, where particles can only exist in discrete energy states and fields are described by operators that act on these states. QFT also allows for the prediction of particle interactions and behaviors, which is not possible in classical field theory.

5. What are the applications of quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory has numerous applications in various fields of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It has been used to successfully predict the behavior of subatomic particles, such as the Higgs boson, and has also been applied in the study of superconductors and other quantum materials. In cosmology, QFT is used to understand the behavior of the early universe and the formation of structures such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.