QFT Peskin Errata: Pauli Vilars Regularization & Ward Takahashi Identity

In summary: Just glad I could help you out! In summary, the conversation discusses the Pauli Vilars regularization technique and its consistency with the Ward Takahashi identity. The individual is having trouble getting a specific equation to work and asks for confirmation from others. Another person provides a step-by-step solution and explains where the mistake was made. The conversation ends with gratitude from the individual.
simic4
Hi,

This is regarding showing, in ch.7, around p.220, that the Pauli Vilars regularization technique is consistent with the ward takahashi identity.

I cannot get the following to work:

I add eq. 7.31 to eq. 7.32 and do not get zero. I get alpha over 4 pi.
(I am left with integral ( 1 - z) * alpha over 2 pi )

we are supposed to show it is zero. i ve checked it and some of the preceding results a few times but cannot get it.

what am i missing. can anyone confirm the problem?

Id really appreciate it! its making me a little nuts.

thanks!

simic

Physics news on Phys.org
I shall give it a go for you, it's pretty straightforward, you've probably just made some small cock up somewhere, I do it all the time.

[tex]\delta Z_2+\delta F_1(0)=\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\int^1_0dz\left[-z\log\frac{z\Lambda^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}+2(2-z)\frac{z(1-z)m^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}+(1-z)\log\frac{z\Lambda^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}+(1-z)\frac{(1-4z+z^2)m^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}\right][/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\int^1_0dz\left[(1-2z)\log\frac{z\Lambda^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}+\frac{(1-z^2)(1-z)m^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}\right][/tex]

Because, as I'm sure you've already worked out,

[tex](1-z)\frac{(1-4z+z^2)m^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}+2(2-z)\frac{z(1-z)m^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}=\frac{(1-z^2)(1-z)m^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}[/tex]

Now split the log up

[tex]\int^1_0dz(1-2z)\log\frac{z\Lambda^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}=\int^1_0dz\left[(1-2z)\log\frac{\Lambda^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}+(1-2z)\log z\right][/tex]
[tex]=\int^1_0dz\left[(1-z)-\frac{(1-z^2)(1-z)m^2}{(1-z)^2m^2+z\mu^2}+(1-2z)\log z\right][/tex]

Plugging that back in gives

[tex]\delta Z_2+\delta F_1(0)=\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\int^1_0dz\left[(1-z)+(1-2z)\log z\right]=0[/tex]

As

[tex]\int^1_0dz(1-z)=-\int^1_0dz(1-2z)\log z=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I presumably did the same as you first time, as I got [itex]\alpha/4\pi[/itex], I forgot the extra logarithm you're left over with at the end, or you just didn't notice that P&S had split it up in the first place (if you don't split it up, i.e. leave the z in the numerator of the log, the integration by parts they performed for you diverges).

Last edited:
Hey thanks a million.

I forgot to split up the log, completely missed it :).

sim.

Qutie alright

Related to QFT Peskin Errata: Pauli Vilars Regularization & Ward Takahashi Identity

1. What is QFT Peskin Errata?

QFT Peskin Errata refers to the corrections and updates made to the textbook "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder. These errata address errors and inconsistencies found in the original text and provide improved explanations and solutions to problems.

2. What is Pauli Vilars Regularization?

Pauli Vilars Regularization is a method used in quantum field theory to deal with divergences that arise in loop diagrams. It involves introducing a small mass term for the particles involved in the loop, which cancels out the divergent terms and allows for finite calculations.

3. How does Pauli Vilars Regularization relate to Ward Takahashi Identity?

Ward Takahashi Identity is a fundamental principle in quantum field theory that relates the symmetry of a theory to the behavior of its scattering amplitudes. Pauli Vilars Regularization is one way to preserve this identity in calculations and maintain the symmetry of the theory.

4. Why is the Ward Takahashi Identity important?

The Ward Takahashi Identity is important because it ensures that a quantum field theory is consistent with the principles of symmetry and gauge invariance. This allows for accurate and meaningful calculations of physical quantities and helps to reveal the underlying structure and behavior of the theory.

5. How can I use the QFT Peskin Errata to improve my understanding of quantum field theory?

The QFT Peskin Errata provides corrected and clarified explanations and solutions to problems in the textbook "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory". By studying these updates, you can deepen your understanding of the concepts and techniques used in quantum field theory and improve your ability to apply them in calculations and research.