QFT: Find Poincare Group Generators in QFT

In summary, the conversation is about finding the generators of the Poincare group in the representation of a classical scalar field. The textbooks mentioned, Weinberg's QFT book and "Quantum Field Theory From Operators to Path Integrals" by Kerson Huang, provide explanations and information on the generators, but the specific generators are not explicitly mentioned. Noether's theorem is also mentioned as a way to construct the generators from a field theory Lagrangian. The person also suggests checking Peskin & Shroeder for more information.
udaraabey
Hi

I need to find the generators of the Poincare group in the representation of a clasical scalar field.
Every textbook I found let them as P and M. But any buk does not what are they.
I'm wondering if anybody help me to find this

Uda

Physics news on Phys.org
There's some good stuff about the Poincaré group and its generators in Weinberg's QFT book (vol. 1, chapter 2) but he doesn't even mention fields until later in the book. It's still a good place to look if you want to know the meaning of the different generators. If you want to construct them explicitly from a field theory Lagrangian, you would use Noether's theorem (as you probably know). There should be some stuff about how to do this in most QFT books. Have you checked Peskin & Shroeder? (I don't know where mine is, so I can't check it myself).

Thanks Fredrik

I found another book "Quantum Field Theory From Operators to Path Integrals" by Kerson Huang. It has a good explanation about generators of the Poincare group.

Related to QFT: Find Poincare Group Generators in QFT

1. What is the Poincare group in QFT?

The Poincare group is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetries of spacetime in quantum field theory (QFT). It consists of four translations (three spatial and one temporal) and six Lorentz transformations (three rotations and three boosts).

2. How do you find the generators of the Poincare group in QFT?

The generators of the Poincare group in QFT can be found by using the Noether theorem, which relates symmetries to conserved quantities. In QFT, the generators are the total energy, momentum, and angular momentum operators.

3. What is the significance of the Poincare group in QFT?

The Poincare group is significant in QFT because it represents the fundamental symmetries of spacetime, which are essential in understanding the behavior of particles and fields. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of relativistic quantum mechanics.

4. Can the Poincare group be extended to include other symmetries?

Yes, the Poincare group can be extended to include other symmetries, such as internal symmetries like isospin and flavor. This extended group is known as the Poincare group in gauge theories and is used to describe the interactions between particles.

5. How does the Poincare group relate to special relativity?

The Poincare group is intimately connected to special relativity because it is the group of transformations that leave the laws of physics unchanged in a relativistic framework. This group is the foundation of special relativity and is essential in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds.