QFT Cutting Rules: Improved Versions & Worked Examples

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for using Cutkosky cutting rules in QFT to pick out absorptive/Imaginary parts of 1- or 2-loops diagrams. Suggestions for references include Peskin and Schroeder, Itzykson Zuber, arXiv:hep-ph/9709423, and previous posts on hep-th. The OP also mentions reviving old threads can be helpful for future readers.
mjsd
Homework Helper
I am wondering whether someone can suggest a good ref or two (preferrably with worked example) on how to use Cutkosky (or whatever it is called) cutting rules in QFT to help pick out the absorptive/Imaginary part of a 1- or 2-loops diagrams. I have already tried Peskin and Schroeder, which is good only up to a certain level.

are there actually improved version of these cutting rules these days?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
hi, maybe you can find somethig useful at Itzykson Zuber where the rule is explained...
You can also find some papres at hep-th and there are other refs at a previous post.

Hi,
Perhaps you can try arXiv:hep-ph/9709423. I haven't looked at it yet but it looks useful. The example given is gg→gH.

This thread is over 6 years old. I doubt the OP is still looking for help.

yeah. that's what i first thought, but i decided to reply anyway, for completeness. people googling cutkosky rules might find it of epsilon use.

I'll just add, I found the paper mentioned by peaelle42 to be very useful and informative. I don't think there should be anything wrong with reviving an old thread if one has something useful to add, and this was such a case (StackOverflow even gives a badge for answering old questions that are probably long-forgotten by the OP--it can still be useful to future readers).

(In the case of my comment here, incidentally also my first post on this form, I *do* apologize for yet again bumping an old thread.)

Related to QFT Cutting Rules: Improved Versions & Worked Examples

1. What are QFT cutting rules?

QFT cutting rules refer to a set of mathematical rules used in quantum field theory to calculate scattering amplitudes. These rules involve the manipulation of Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions.

2. How do the improved versions of QFT cutting rules differ from the original version?

The improved versions of QFT cutting rules incorporate new techniques and mathematical tools, such as unitarity methods and on-shell recursion, to make the calculations more efficient and accurate. These versions also provide a more systematic way of handling divergences that arise in the original version.

3. What are some examples of QFT cutting rules being applied in practical calculations?

QFT cutting rules have been used to calculate scattering amplitudes in a variety of physical processes, such as high-energy collisions at particle accelerators and interactions between particles in the early universe. They have also been applied to study the behavior of quantum field theories in different dimensions and under different conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to using QFT cutting rules?

While QFT cutting rules are a powerful tool for calculating scattering amplitudes, they are not applicable to all types of interactions. They are most commonly used for processes involving a small number of particles and for theories with a small number of fields. For more complex interactions, other techniques, such as numerical simulations, may be required.

5. How have QFT cutting rules contributed to our understanding of quantum field theory?

QFT cutting rules have played a crucial role in theoretical physics by providing a systematic and efficient method for calculating scattering amplitudes in quantum field theories. Their use has led to a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of particle interactions and has helped to make predictions that have been confirmed by experimental data.