QFT at Finite Density: Refs & Resources for Zero T

In summary, In order to find a good reference on QFT at finite temperature, you might need to look at books specifically about the subject or use a reference that discusses the theory in real-time.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I need to take a look at some references about QFT at finite density but I can't find anything, or at least I don't know where to look. I should emphasize that what I need is QFT at zero temperature and finite density so it seems to me QFT in finite temperature books may not be what I need or maybe I'm not understanding what the title's representing.
I'd really appreciate it if anyone clears my confusion here and point me to a good reference.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
One usually has QFT at finite temperature which is similar to non-specially relativistic QFT (many-body theory). I have never heard of QFT at finite density.

dextercioby said:
One usually has QFT at finite temperature which is similar to non-specially relativistic QFT (many-body theory). I have never heard of QFT at finite density.
Well, to be honest, I'm not sure what I'm talking about. But let me try to explain and then we'll see whether I make sense or not.
What I have in mind is an interacting QFT at zero temperature that has field excitations even at its ground state. Yeah, field excitations at ground state may seem contradictory but I guess that can be understood by comparing this theory to the corresponding free theory.

Well, of course there's QFT at ##T=0## but finite density, e.g., for cold nuclear matter. You get it as the limit of ##T \rightarrow 0^+## from the usual formalisms (Matsubara/imaginary time or Schwinger-Keldysh real-time). The vacuum by definition is the ground state, i.e., the state of lowest energy. There are by definition no excitations of anything if you have the system prepared in this state.

Likes ShayanJ
vanhees71 said:
The vacuum by definition is the ground state, i.e., the state of lowest energy. There are by definition no excitations of anything if you have the system prepared in this state.
Yeah, but what if we approximate the interacting theory starting with the free theory? Then the approximate interacting ground state is actually a state with particles(free theory particles), right?

Yes, and in finite-temperature/density perturbation theory you correct for both the state (i.e., the (grand-)canonical statistical opertor) and the dynamics of the fields. This is, because the (grand-)canonical state is treated as time evolution for imaginary times, and the time evolution is perturbatively described with the diagrammatic rules (including the KMS conditions for the fields).

Likes ShayanJ
vanhees71 said:
Yes, and in finite-temperature/density perturbation theory you correct for both the state (i.e., the (grand-)canonical statistical opertor) and the dynamics of the fields. This is, because the (grand-)canonical state is treated as time evolution for imaginary times, and the time evolution is perturbatively described with the diagrammatic rules (including the KMS conditions for the fields).
Can I find such calculations on every finite temperature field theory book? Does any of them do such calculations using path integrals?

Here's my manuscript (emphasizing the real-time formalism, using both operators and path integrals):

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/off-eq-qft.pdf

Then there are three good textbooks:

J. I. Kapusta and C. Gale, Finite-Temperature Field Theory; Principles and Applications, Cambridge University Press, 2 ed., 2006.
M. LeBellac, Thermal Field Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, Melbourne, 1996.
M. Laine and A. Vuorinen, Basics of Thermal Field Theory, vol. 925 of Lecture Notes in Physics, 2016.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31933-9

For the real-time formalism, using path integrals, see the review article

N. P. Landsmann and C. G. van Weert, Real- and Imaginary-time Field Theory at Finite Temperature and Density, Physics Reports, 145 (1987), p. 141.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0370-1573(87)90121-9

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ShayanJ

Related to QFT at Finite Density: Refs & Resources for Zero T

1. What is QFT at finite density?

QFT at finite density is a branch of quantum field theory that studies the behavior of particles at non-zero densities. It takes into account the interactions between particles and their surrounding environment, and is used to understand the properties of matter at extreme conditions such as high pressures and temperatures.

2. What are some applications of QFT at finite density?

QFT at finite density has many applications in various fields including condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It is used to study the behavior of matter in high-energy collisions, the properties of materials under extreme conditions, and the behavior of matter in the cores of neutron stars.

3. What are some key concepts in QFT at finite density?

Some key concepts in QFT at finite density include the grand canonical ensemble, which describes a system at a fixed temperature and chemical potential, and the path integral formalism, which is used to calculate the probability of different particle interactions. Other important concepts include Fermi-Dirac statistics, which describe the behavior of fermions, and Bose-Einstein statistics, which describe the behavior of bosons.

4. What are some resources for learning about QFT at finite density?

There are many resources available for learning about QFT at finite density, including textbooks, online lectures, and research articles. Some recommended textbooks include "Quantum Field Theory at Finite Temperature and Density" by Jean-Paul Blaizot and "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics" by Robert M. Wald. Online lectures can be found on platforms such as YouTube and Coursera, and research articles can be accessed through academic databases such as arXiv and ScienceDirect.

5. What are some current research topics in QFT at finite density?

Current research topics in QFT at finite density include the study of strongly interacting matter, the behavior of quantum chromodynamics (QCD) at finite density and temperature, and the properties of matter in the early universe. Other areas of research include the application of QFT at finite density to condensed matter systems and the development of new theoretical frameworks for understanding the behavior of matter at extreme conditions.