QCD theta angle and Neutron electric dipole moment

In summary, Srednicki and Burgess and Moore state that the QCD theta affects the neutron electric dipole moment, while Weinberg argues that this is only true if the quarks are massless.
ansgar
Dear all

I have done some studies trying to understand the relation between the QCD theta angle and neutron electric dipole moment.

General, the QCD vacuum produces the term

[tex] L_{\theta} = \theta g_s^2\: G_a^{\mu\nu} \, G^a_{\mu\nu} [/tex]

this I can derive! I have studied Srednicki ch 93, Ramond (journeys beyond SM) ch. 5.6 and Axions : theory, cosmology, and experimental searches ch 1

Now we will generate a similar term with the inclusion of massive quarks, with "paramter"

[tex] \text{Arg}\, \text{Det}\,M [/tex]

where M is a (in general) complex mass matrix for the quarks, thus the "total theta" reads:

[tex] \tilde{\theta} = \theta _{QCD} + \text{Arg}\, \text{Det}\,M [/tex]

I have also understood that if the quarks are massless, then the QCD theta is not a physical parameter due to redefinition of dummy variable in the Path Integral (thanks to the anomalous U(1)_A symmetry).

Now my quest is to understand how this QCD-theta affects the Electric Dipole moment of the Neutron.

From reading Srednicki, the angle which gives a contribution to that is the angle from the complex mass matrix! See eq. 94.10, and not the total theta!

I mean, WHY should the theta in eq. 94.10 be the same as in the Path Integral eq. 94.1?

So my question is, how does the QCD theta affect el-dip-mom of the neutron?

the "other books", (the ones listed above) and Burgess and Moore (standard model - a primer) says that it should be [tex] \tilde{\theta} = \theta _{QCD} + \text{Arg}\, \text{Det}\,M [/tex] that comes into the electric dipole moment...

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump: humanino, blechman... help :)

In the meantime of more competent people than me stepping in (such as blechman), I'll report on my own findings.

I found the best explanation in Weinberg's second volume.
A mere change of path integration variables cannot have any physical effect, so observable quantities cannot depend separately on [itex]\theta[/itex] or the phases of the mass parameters [itex]{\cal M}_f[/itex], but only on the combination
[tex]\tilde{\theta}=\theta _{QCD} + \text{Arg}\, \text{Det}\,{\cal M}[/tex] (23.6.12)
He comes to this conclusion after discussing the general open-minded definition for the expectation value of an observable [itex]{\cal O}[/itex] in a spacetime volume [itex]\Omega[/itex]
[tex]\langle{\cal O}\rangle_\Omega = \frac{\sum_\nu f(\nu)\int_\nu [d\phi]\exp(I_\Omega[\phi]){\cal O}[\phi]}{\sum_\nu f(\nu)\int_\nu [d\phi]\exp(I_\Omega[\phi])}[/tex]
with an arbitrary weight function [itex]f(\nu)[/itex] for configuration with winding number [itex]\nu[/itex]. He thereupon argues from his "cluster decomposition principle" that the form of this weight must be [itex]f(\nu)=\exp(i\theta\nu)[/itex] for his principle to hold (in other places, this is discussed in terms of stability of the vacuum). As you already know,
[tex]\nu\propto \int\tilde{G}G=\int G_a^{\mu\nu} \, G^a_{\mu\nu}=\int \epsilon^{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}G^a_{\kappa\lambda}G^{a}_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

After establishing (23.6.12) he explicitly decides to redefine the phases for fermion fields such that [itex]\theta=0[/itex].

The procedure in Srednicki is equivalent, but I find significantly less clear (I admit that this may be personal bias). He constructs "by hand" the modified mass term implicitly in (94.15) so it takes thinking on part of the reader to realize how this could be linked with more general principles (such as stability of the vacuum or cluster decomposition)

[tex]{\cal L}_m=\bar{\Psi}\left[M+i
\tilde{\theta}\tilde{m}\gamma_5+O(\theta^2)\right]\Psi[/tex]

Also, I find it desirable to include the strange quark to clearly see why this is dominated by light quark effects :
[tex]\tilde{m}=\frac{m_um_dm_s}{m_um_d+m_um_s+m_dm_s}\approx\frac{m_um_d}{m_u+m_d}[/tex]

So the short form of my answer : either one redefines the phases of the quarks, or equivalently sums appropriately over different winding numbers for the gluon vacuum, but at the end of the day, only [tex]\tilde{\theta}[/tex] is physical.

edit
Also, the evaluation of the neutron EDM is difficult and varies by about an order of magnitude (eventually, we still have an angle of at most a billionth anyway). From this point of view, Srednicki actually goes more into details. If you can, you may also want to check "Dynamics of the standard model" by Donoghue et al (Cambridge monograph)

Last edited:
Ah ok thank you!

I have access to both those books, Weinberg 2 and Donoghue I'll have a look in them :)

So basically Weinberg (23.6.12) is what I have read everywhere and agreed upon since I stumbled on Srednicki's explanation, which seemed to just ignored to stress that fact enough and didn't took explicit "tilde" notation seriously.

Thank you again, much appreciated!

Related to QCD theta angle and Neutron electric dipole moment

1. What is the QCD theta angle?

The QCD theta angle is a parameter in the quantum chromodynamics (QCD) theory, which describes the strong nuclear force that binds quarks together in protons and neutrons. It determines the strength of the interactions between quarks and gluons.

2. Why is the QCD theta angle important?

The QCD theta angle is important because it plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of hadrons, such as protons and neutrons. It also affects the behavior of quarks and gluons inside these particles, and ultimately, the structure of matter.

3. What is the relationship between the QCD theta angle and the neutron electric dipole moment?

The QCD theta angle is closely related to the neutron electric dipole moment (nEDM), which is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a neutron. The nEDM is sensitive to the presence of a nonzero QCD theta angle, which would violate the symmetry of charge conjugation and parity (CP) in the strong interaction.

4. What is the current understanding of the QCD theta angle?

The current understanding of the QCD theta angle is that it is likely very small or zero. This is supported by experimental evidence, including the lack of observed CP violation in the strong interaction and the smallness of the nEDM. Additionally, theoretical calculations predict that the QCD theta angle should be naturally suppressed in the vacuum state.

5. How does the QCD theta angle impact our understanding of the universe?

The QCD theta angle is one of the fundamental parameters of the standard model of particle physics, and its precise value has implications for our understanding of the universe. For example, if the QCD theta angle were significantly larger than zero, it could help explain the observed imbalance between matter and antimatter in the universe. Additionally, a nonzero QCD theta angle could also contribute to the total mass of the universe.