Q vs q in Coulomb's Law: Understanding Notation for Charges

In summary, Q and q represent different charges in Coulomb's Law, with Q being the total charge and q being the charge of a single point charge. The strength of the electric force is directly proportional to both Q and q, with an increase in either resulting in an increase in force. Both Q and q can be negative, indicating an attractive force between two objects. The electric force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged objects, meaning an increase in distance results in a decrease in force. Coulomb's Law can be applied to any two objects with electric charges, regardless of their size or shape, but is most accurate for point charges.
ChiralWaltz

Homework Statement

This is a question about notation. When working with Coulomb's Law, is Q>0 and q<0? What is the difference between Q and q?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

n/a

Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is that they are just "different" charges. They may both be negative or both positive or one is positive and one is negative.

With subscripts to denote which charge is which, I do not understand why Q and q are used. I will check with my professor tomorrow. Thanks for your response.

Related to Q vs q in Coulomb's Law: Understanding Notation for Charges

1. What is the difference between Q and q in Coulomb's Law?

Q and q both refer to electric charges in Coulomb's Law, but they represent different charges. Q represents the total charge of an object, while q represents the charge of a single point charge.

2. How do Q and q affect the strength of the electric force in Coulomb's Law?

The strength of the electric force is directly proportional to both Q and q. As Q or q increases, the force between two charged objects also increases.

3. Can Q and q be negative in Coulomb's Law?

Yes, both Q and q can be negative in Coulomb's Law. A negative Q or q indicates an object with a negative charge, which will result in an attractive force between two objects.

4. How does the distance between two charged objects affect the electric force in Coulomb's Law?

The electric force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged objects. As the distance increases, the force decreases.

5. Is Coulomb's Law only applicable to point charges?

No, Coulomb's Law can be applied to any two objects with electric charges, regardless of their size or shape. However, it is most accurate for point charges, which are small objects with evenly distributed charges.