[Q] University Physics & Researching Asteroids

In summary, the speaker is a computer science student with an interest in asteroid impacts and deflection systems. They are seeking advice on how to prepare for a challenging physics course and how to begin researching asteroid deflection systems on their own. They have obtained a textbook and are studying calculus to build a strong foundation. They also mention a book recommendation on the topic of "New Earths" by Lewis.
vaironl
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I posted in this forum. I'm glad to be back to ask for advice from very talented individuals. Pardon me if my thread is not under the correct category. The following set of questions are related to my career, academic life, and satisfaction of self-learning, so I wasn't sure of what sub-forum it would fit.

I'm currently studying computer science to become a software engineer. What does this have to do with physics you say? Well I have both a huge fear and interest with the topic of asteroid impacts on Earth and wanted to explore the subject on how one could deflect asteroids which could become potential threats to Earth. Sadly I lack the background in physics and engineering I need to research this. Fortunately enough for me my degree requires me to take these type of science courses.

I'll be taking University Physics or as they call it Calculus Based Physics next semester and although I'm extremely excited to begin learning more about the topics that course will have to offer, I'm also a bit scared by the fact that many consider it to be a very challenging course. I have obtained the textbook and begun skimming certain sections from it. Could you folks provide advice on how I could establish a strong foundation for this course? Keep reading the book and try problems, etc.?

I'm currently finishing calc1. and am studying all sections carefully to have a strong mathematical foundation by the time I enter the course, but I wonder of what other activities I could do prior to entering this class. Also, if anyone has any advice on how I could start researching the asteroid deflection systems by myself I'd be glad to take pointers on that, although I doubt I'll be successful in understanding many of the topics.

I don't think asteroid deflection systems are a topic of serious academic research...however you could read "New Earths" by Lewis...it's a fun read.

Related to [Q] University Physics & Researching Asteroids

1. What is the purpose of studying university physics?

University physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter, energy, space, and time. It provides a foundation for understanding various phenomena in the natural world and is essential for many fields, including engineering, astronomy, and medicine.

2. How does university physics relate to researching asteroids?

University physics plays a crucial role in researching asteroids as it helps us understand the physical properties of these celestial bodies, such as their mass, composition, and trajectory. It also provides the necessary tools and techniques for collecting and analyzing data from asteroid missions.

3. What are some methods used in university physics to study asteroids?

There are several methods used in university physics to study asteroids, including spectroscopy, remote sensing, and numerical simulations. Spectroscopy involves analyzing the light reflected from an asteroid to determine its composition. Remote sensing uses instruments such as telescopes and radars to gather data from a distance. Numerical simulations use mathematical models to predict the behavior of asteroids.

4. Why is researching asteroids important?

Studying asteroids is essential for understanding the formation and evolution of our solar system. It can also provide insights into the origins of life on Earth, as some scientists believe that asteroids may have brought organic materials to our planet. Additionally, researching asteroids can help us develop strategies to mitigate potential asteroid impacts on Earth.

5. How can university physics help in the future exploration and exploitation of asteroids?

University physics can help in the future exploration and exploitation of asteroids by providing the necessary knowledge and tools to design and operate spacecraft and instruments for asteroid missions. It can also aid in the development of technologies for asteroid mining and resource utilization. Additionally, university physics can help us understand the potential hazards and challenges of asteroid missions, allowing us to plan and execute them safely and effectively.