[Q]Question about harmonic oscilator

In summary, the professor introduced the formula for the energy of a harmonic oscillator-time-independent equation, and discussed the asymptotic and forbidden domains. He also explained how to approximate the second differential of the wave function for domains that are far away from the potential. Finally, he gave a question for the class.
good_phy
Hi, Finally! I reached harmonic oscilator! Congratulation!

Most of all QM textbook introduced this formula :

Time independent energy eigenstate equation is

[tex] ( - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial}{\partial x) + \frac{Kx^2}{2} )\varphi = E\varphi [/tex]

(1)[itex] \varphi_{xx} = -k^2 \varphi [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\hbar^2k^2(x)}{2m} = E - \frac{K}{2}x^2 > 0 [/itex]

We focused classically forbidden domain [itex] x^2 > x_{o}^2, E < \frac{Kx^2}{2} [/itex]

In this case, kinetic energy is negative, so [itex] \varphi_{xx} = k'^2 \varphi [/itex] [itex] \frac{\hbar^2k'^2}{2m} = \frac{K}{2}x^2 - E > 0 [/itex]

For asymptotic domain, [itex] Kx^2/2 >> E [/itex]

(2) [itex] \varphi_{xx} = \frac{mK}{\hbar^2}\varphi = \beta^4x^2\varphi [/itex] where subscript means 2nd differential, [itex] \beta^2 = \frac{mw_{o}}{\hbar} [/itex]

We let (3) [itex] \epsilon = \beta x[/itex]

(2) appears as (4) [itex] \varphi_{\epsilon\epsilon} = \epsilon^2 \varphi [/itex]

If [itex] \epsilon >>1 [/itex] then (2) is approximated to

(5) [itex] \varphi \approx Aexp(\pm\frac{\epsilon^2}{2}) = Aexp(\pm\frac{(\beta x)^2}{2}) [/itex]

I have a question. Liboff said (2) become (4) by introducing (3). But If (3) is right, I thought (4) should be [itex] \varphi_{\epsilon\epsilon} = \beta^2\epsilon^2\varphi [/itex]. Is it right?

And I don't know how to derive (5) from (4). Please lead me.

Physics news on Phys.org
good_phy said:
(2) [itex] \varphi_{xx} = \frac{mK}{\hbar^2}\varphi = \beta^4x^2\varphi [/itex] where subscript means 2nd differential, [itex] \beta^2 = \frac{mw_{o}}{\hbar} [/itex]

We let (3) [itex] \epsilon = \beta x[/itex]

(2) appears as (4) [itex] \varphi_{\epsilon\epsilon} = \epsilon^2 \varphi [/itex]

If [itex] \epsilon >>1 [/itex] then (2) is approximated to

(5) [itex] \varphi \approx Aexp(\pm\frac{\epsilon^2}{2}) = Aexp(\pm\frac{(\beta x)^2}{2}) [/itex]

I have a question. Liboff said (2) become (4) by introducing (3). But If (3) is right, I thought (4) should be [itex] \varphi_{\epsilon\epsilon} = \beta^2\epsilon^2\varphi [/itex]. Is it right?

And I don't know how to derive (5) from (4). Please lead me.

I don't have Liboff, but since you make substitution of variables from x to beta*epsilon, the second derivative on phi w.r.t to x will change..

[tex]\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2} \rightarrow \beta ^2 \frac{d^2\phi}{d\epsilon^2}[/tex] (chain rule of calculus)

so it should be: [tex] \phi_{\epsilon\epsilon} = \epsilon^2 \phi [/tex]

Thank you for your help! I'm very pleased with you. But Could you tell me how to apply chain rule of calculus on that formula? I just subsitute [itex] x = \beta\epsilon [/itex] into the x of dominator to get your formula. is it right procedure?

What is more, Can you give me a answer of second question?

[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dx} = \frac{d\phi}{d\epsilon}\frac{d\epsilon}{dx}[/tex]

what the second question is about is that that "far" away from the potential, (classical allowed region) wave function must go down as an exponential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HarmOsziFunktionen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to [Q]Question about harmonic oscilator

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a type of physical system that experiences a restoring force proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. This results in a periodic motion around the equilibrium point.

What are some real-life examples of harmonic oscillators?

Some common examples of harmonic oscillators include a mass attached to a spring, a pendulum, and a tuning fork. Other examples include the vibrations of atoms and molecules, and the swinging of a child on a swing.

What is the equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator is given by F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

What is the period of a harmonic oscillator?

The period of a harmonic oscillator is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion. It is given by T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass and k is the spring constant.

How does the amplitude affect the motion of a harmonic oscillator?

The amplitude of a harmonic oscillator determines the maximum displacement from equilibrium. A larger amplitude results in a larger maximum velocity and a longer period of oscillation.