Q of radiating electron according to classical theory

In summary, the classical theory of radiating electrons is a model that describes the behavior of electrons as they emit radiation. It explains that an accelerating electron will release energy in the form of electromagnetic waves. The Q of a radiating electron, which measures the efficiency of energy transfer, can be calculated by dividing the energy lost by the electron by the total energy radiated. This value is affected by factors such as the speed of the electron, the strength of the electric field, and the frequency of the emitted radiation. While the classical theory is an approximation based on classical physics, quantum mechanics provides a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of electron behavior, including radiation emission. However, the classical theory is still commonly used in situations where quantum effects are negligible.
mbigras

Homework Statement

According to classical electromagnetic theory an accelerated electron radiates energy at the rate [itex]Ke^{2}a^{2}/c^{3}[/itex], where [itex]K = 6*10^{9} Nm^{2}/C^{2}[/itex], [itex]e = [/itex] electronic charge, [itex]a = [/itex] instananeous acceleration, and [itex]c = [/itex] speed of light.

a) If an electron were oscillating along a straight line with frequency [itex]v[/itex] (Hz) and amplitude [itex]A[/itex], how much energy would it radiate away during 1 cycle? (Assume that the motion is described adequately by [itex]x = A\sin{2 \pi v t}[/itex] during anyone cycle.)

b) What is the [itex]Q[/itex] of this oscillator?

c) How many periods of oscillation would elapse before the energy of the motion was down to half the initial value?

d) Putting for [itex]v[/itex] a typical optical frequency(i.e., for visible light) estimate numerically the approximate Q and "half-life" of the radiating system.

Homework Equations

[tex]Q = \frac{\omega_{0}}{\gamma}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I took the integral of the rate that the energy radiates from 0 to [itex]\frac{1}{2v}[/itex]. So the energy radiated during 1 cycle is [itex]\frac{8 \pi^{4} v^{3} A^{2} K e^{2}}{c^{3}}[/itex] J

I feel confused about part b. I'm given the rate the energy radiates and from that I think I should find [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] which will tell me about [itex]Q[/itex]. By knowing how much energy is being lost I can imagine how that tells you about the damping but right now I don't see how they're related. Something I was thinking was to integrate the given rate:
[tex]\int \frac{dE}{dt} dt = \int \frac{K e^{2}}{c^{3}} \frac{d^{2} x}{d t^{2}} dt[/tex]
[tex]E = \frac{1}{2} \frac{K e^{2}}{c^{3}} \left( \frac{dx}{dt} \right)^{2} + constant[/tex]
Now it's starting to look like a familiar differential equation...but really, I'm not sure what going on here. I think my main question is: How is the quality of an oscillatory system related to the rate that it losses energy due to damping?

Likes yucheng
Physics news on Phys.org
mbigras said:
For part a, I took the integral of the rate that the energy radiates from 0 to [itex]\frac{1}{2v}[/itex]. So the energy radiated during 1 cycle is [itex]\frac{8 \pi^{4} v^{3} A^{2} K e^{2}}{c^{3}}[/itex] J

That looks good to me.

I feel confused about part b...
I think my main question is: How is the quality of an oscillatory system related to the rate that it losses energy due to damping?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor#Definition_of_the_quality_factor for how Q relates to the energy stored in the oscillator and the energy loss per cycle that you found in part a.

Likes yucheng
Thank you for that formula. What is the energy stored in an oscilating electron?

It's just the energy of a simple harmonic oscillator.

Thats what I feel also. There is an electron that's oscillating around so it has some total energy and can be thought of as a harmoic oscilator. But now there's this concept where the energy is dissapating and from looking in the back of the book:
[tex]Q = 2 \pi \frac{E}{8 \pi^{4} v^{3} A^{2} K e^{2}} = \frac{mc^{3}}{4 \pi v K e^{2}}[/tex]
so
[tex]E = m\left(Av\pi \right)^{2}[/tex]
and that feels like it should look familiar but it doesn't. How is that like [itex]\frac{1}{2} k x^{2}[/itex]?

E = KE + PE. You can calculate E at any point of the cycle, say at x = 0. How would you express KE and PE at the instant x = 0?

Likes 1 person
KE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}m \dot{x}^{2}[/itex], when t = 0 the PE = 0 and the KE = m(Av*pi)^2. Right on TSny thank you.

Likes hutchphd
mbigras said:
KE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}m \dot{x}^{2}[/itex], when t = 0 the PE = 0 and the KE = m(Av*pi)^2.

I differ by a factor of 2 in the expression for KE at x = 0.

I also differ by a factor of 2 in the expression for Q that you gave in post #5. But it's easy to drop such factors, so I could be off.

TSny said:
I differ by a factor of 2 in the expression for KE at x = 0.

I also differ by a factor of 2 in the expression for Q that you gave in post #5. But it's easy to drop such factors, so I could be off.
Would you elaborate why there should be an extra factor of 2 for equation of Q given in post #5?

yucheng said:
Would you elaborate why there should be an extra factor of 2 for equation of Q given in post #5?
Look at the first equation on page 6 of your link in post #10. Note that ##\omega = 2 \pi \nu## where ##\nu## is the frequency (in Hz). This gives an expression for the energy ##E## that is twice the expression for ##E## given in post #5. This factor of 2 contributes to ##Q##, so the correct expression for ##Q## should be twice that given in post #5.

Likes yucheng

Related to Q of radiating electron according to classical theory

1. What is the classical theory of radiating electrons?

The classical theory of radiating electrons is a model that explains the behavior of electrons as they emit radiation. According to this theory, an accelerating electron will radiate energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the Q of a radiating electron?

The Q of a radiating electron refers to the quality factor, which is a measure of the efficiency of energy transfer between the electron and the emitted radiation. In other words, it is a measure of how much energy the electron loses as it emits radiation.

3. How is the Q of a radiating electron calculated?

The Q of a radiating electron can be calculated by dividing the energy lost by the electron by the total energy radiated. This can be expressed as a ratio or as a logarithmic value.

4. What factors affect the Q of a radiating electron?

The Q of a radiating electron can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the electron, the strength of the electric field it is accelerating in, and the frequency of the emitted radiation.

5. How does the classical theory of radiating electrons relate to quantum mechanics?

The classical theory of radiating electrons is an approximation of the behavior of electrons based on classical physics. However, quantum mechanics provides a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of the behavior of electrons, including their emission of radiation. The classical theory is still often used in certain situations where quantum effects are negligible.